12/27 11AM @ Clive Coffee: Portland roasters & espresso meetup - Page 5

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#41: Post by mivanitsky »

Is anyone interested in playing with one of La Colombe's Dragon Brewers? I do not claim to be expert with this thing yet, but If anyone wants to try an alternative siphon-like device, I can bring it as well.

clivecoffee
Sponsor

#42: Post by clivecoffee »

I'm looking forward to tomorrow! In addition to everything Ben mentioned, I wanted to mention that we can take the covers off any of the machines for internal inspection & photography, as this seems to be a common request.

@mivanitsky, we have a Dragon brewer everyone can try out but bring yours if you'd like!

Best,
Mark

keno

#43: Post by keno »

Thanks to Mark for graciously hosting this event and to Ben for organizing!

It was great to get together with other local roasters and HBers. Met some new people and got to see some old HB friends. Always nice to get to sample other people's roasted coffee.

Meeting at Clive was a real treat as we all got to see and play around with the great equipment they have. The new Lucca DB and Profitec 700 both look really nice. Mike from Compass was showing everyone the ropes on the Vesuvius.
And Mark brewed us all some nice Kenyan coffee on their own Ratio brewer that was roasted by danetrainer.

Looking forward to the next meetup!

dogjamboree

#44: Post by dogjamboree »

What Ken said :)

Seriously though, Mark from Clive is an amazing host and it's people like him that make Portland such a great place to have coffee for a hobby. Likewise, for those of you Portlanders who've never made the trip across the bridge to check out Compass Coffee, it's worth a visit.

There was so much going on that I didn't get a chance to look at all the toys in detail, but I can tell you Clive's Lucca espresso machines are gorgeous, and the one shot I did pull was excellent, despite the operator :)

Also got to try some great home roasts that were every bit as good as what most cafes in town serve, which is saying a lot.

Thanks for doing the legwork Ben!

frank

benpiff (original poster)

#45: Post by benpiff (original poster) »

Wow, what a day!

It was awesome getting to learn from other roasters, and try some wonderful roasts that are very unique and eye opening. I'm really excited to collaborate more regularly and learn from you guys who have been refining scientific and systematic processes of improvement.

Also, it was awesome to dive more deeply into the Vesuvius with the help of Mike from Compass. If that's what he's learned in the last two weeks, it's going to be amazing to see what owners and the software designers come up with in the future! For those who are considering making this investment, I think watching Mike go through the setup and input some profiles that he likes will be helpful for seeing just how much control you can have. If you're considering a lever machine, GS/3 or Slayer, it looks to me like Vesuvius will have everything you want now, with more future flexibility. I also heard from others that Vesuvius is quieter than the Slayer by nature of its magnetic pump, and accessing the reservoir from the side is very convenient, as is the machine waiting until you finish your shot to remind you to refill the tank (as opposed to turning the machine off mid shot).

Some asked questions about the fit and finish of the Vesuvius unit at Clive, which was perfect. No exposed welds or anything to distract from the presence of the thing.

From what I saw, the M58 didn't pull a bad looking shot all day (actually thicker and prettier than those from the Vesuvius, in my humble opinion). I personally tried multiple grinders from the sweet new Macap M4D (impressively compact) to the Compak K8, and was lucky to not have to make a single adjustment.

Video 1: Mike whipping the Vesuvius' settings into shape: http://youtu.be/qyokd9soM-8. Side note, the default pressure profile did pull an amazing first shot for me, so you don't have to do all of this tinkering right off the bat...but you probably will :mrgreen:

Video 2: Watch a shot on the Vesuvius, Mike dialing in the Profitec 700, me pulling a Lucca M58 shot, and then one on the Profitec. http://youtu.be/3PMdV8VHvfY

The only thing I'm looking forward to doing next time is having a grinder ready for single dosing, so we can be trying more peoples' roasts :wink: And getting the invite out to other friends sooner.

tadpole

#46: Post by tadpole »

Well late to the party as usual. Really enjoyed them time we were able to spend. Many thanks to everyone for being inviting and willing to share all their tools and coffee's. I would definitely do this again.