Elektra Microcasa a Leva vs. Ponte Vecchio Export

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
LDT

#1: Post by LDT »

I would like to gain some additional knowledge about the pros and cons of two levers - the Elektra Mcal and the Ponte Vecchio Export. Has anyone with experience using both, be willing to share thoughts? Thanks.

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#2: Post by orphanespresso »

Parts are FAR more readily available for Elektra than for PV.

wintoid

#3: Post by wintoid »

I found it hard to get the piston out (and back in) on the PV for lubing/cleaning. The MCAL looks really easy.
Simon
LMWDP #486

espressojr
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by espressojr »

wintoid wrote: The MCAL looks really easy.
You are right on- it is really easy.
jim

peacecup

#5: Post by peacecup »

There are three known vendors of PV parts in the US; Vanellis, 1rst Line, and the Good Coffee Company. There may be others.

The PV piston is a pain to re-seal, but it's not rocket science. It isn't something that should need to be done too often in any case.

The main issues I would use to decide are price, espresso quality, build quality and aesthetics.

I the Export is all you can afford it's a good value for a new home lever. The build quality at PV may be a little less than the Elektra, but most people who have posted here on HB have gotten years of service with few major issues from the Export. The Lusso has had electronic control box issues, but I've heard that they may be improving their QC checks.

Espresso quality I can't compare because I've never used an Elektra. I love PV espresso, and I suppose I'd love Elektra espresso also.

If you're in love with the looks of the Elektra you may never grow to like the Export box shape. I have somewhat the opposite taste, and prefer the unobtrusive form of the PV, and don't care for shiny stuff as much. Plus I don't like the idea of the boiler being exposed to the touch, either on the Elektra or the Pavoni. Then there is always the Cremina...
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

LDT (original poster)

#6: Post by LDT (original poster) »

Thanks to all who posted. The info. is helpful.

TM

#7: Post by TM »

I like this direct comparison between the two groups a lot:

Additional spring for Elektra Microcasa a Leva [VIDEO] -- PAGE 5