Adjusting Water pH - Page 2

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
homeburrero
Team HB

#11: Post by homeburrero »

brianl wrote: I do have a .01g scale but I doubt it's accurate to measure anything that low.
I found a while back that a pinch of baking soda was in the 100mg ballpark for me.* So I would add a pinch when I mixed up my usual 3 liter of water (Brita/ZeroWater mix.) It was just easy - my box of Arm and Hammer was right there. Allowing for highly variable pinches, that meant I was adding 15mg/l to 60mg/l of NaCO3 to my water, which seemed acceptable. Added to my peace of mind about copper corrosion, and I doubt it had a noticeable affect on taste. (A big pinch, with 60mg/l of NaCO3 would be ~16mg/l of Na+, which is above the SCAA recommended value of 10mg/l, but not by much. I'm pretty sure I couldn't taste that.)

*By counting 30 of my pinches in a 3.0 gram sample.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

another_jim
Team HB

#12: Post by another_jim »

That does sound very workable.

Personally, i'd still recommend filling the tank or a water jug with calcite gravel (available at aquarium supplies) for hardening, That way you get calcium, rather than sodium, along with your bicarbonates, which does brew slightly better.
Jim Schulman

MerleApAmber

#13: Post by MerleApAmber »

Jim Schulman's Insanely Long Water FAQ
/hrmmm...

damonbowe

#14: Post by damonbowe »

You can also use an electronic ph adjusting machine, usually used to make alkaline water. The ph is not buffered in these so it will equilibrate over time.