Quickmill Alexia and Baratza Vario. Which is the weak link? - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
pearlmikejam (original poster)

#21: Post by pearlmikejam (original poster) »

peacecup wrote:A tangential example is that I make much better espresso at home with 50-year old hand grinders and antique home levers than I usually get at cafes using BIG BURR grinders and pro LM machines. The reason is simple - I use coffees that I like and I have had pulled 1000s of shots on using the same espresso blends and the same equipment.
This is one of my pet peeves. I cannot stand going into a cafe that has high end equipment and good quality beans, but then produces a shot that is nothing more than colored water. It is no wonder so many of these cafes fail. /Tangent

What is the best approach to limit the variables? My approach has always been to first adjust the grind to get the proper shot time, then to adjust the dose and then finally adjust the temperature. My dose has typically only varied 3 grams at the most (18g to 21g) and I have only varied 1g from the roaster's recommendation. I have tried to establish as many constants as possible to limit the variability. I am trying to avoid total chaos with too many moving pieces.

peacecup

#22: Post by peacecup »

I wish JimS would chime in here - he'd have you on your way fast. He's written that you can change both grind and dose simultaneously, and knows which direction of each will change the flavor profile in the desired direction.

I guess you've read this one:

Espresso 101: How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

drgary
Team HB

#23: Post by drgary »

He's written that you set grind for those beans and then change dose. This is just an easier technique.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#24: Post by pearlmikejam (original poster) »

Thanks guys. I think I have probably read so much that I have confused myself. I have some fresh BC Analog that was delivered yesterday and some time off next week. I think I will be spending a lot of time trying to get that dialed in and may try to stick with that for a while. I think I will try brewing at a higher temp with a finer grind to see what that does for me.

#25: Post by pearlmikejam (original poster) »

To all that helped, I wanted to once again say thanks and post an update.

The update is that the Vario is clearly the problem. I will be creating another post to help troubleshoot, but in short, the Vario has something wrong with it. It cannot be calibrated and seems to be stuck at one setting. Any changes to settings do nothing.

Off to a troubleshooting, or possibly buying advice, post...