Kona Coffee Cupping Competition 2014

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
mathof

#1: Post by mathof »

As it happens, I was visiting my brother in the Kona district of Hawaii last week, during the Annual Kona Coffee Festival, and I attended the finals of the Cupping Competition on Thursday. Here's the dope on the winner (Hula Daddy):

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/11/prweb12330022.htm

Matt

caldwa

#2: Post by caldwa »

I tried the Red Bourbon when I visited Hula Daddy last month - probably the best Kona coffee I've ever had. Sweet, bright red fruit, and clean. Hula Daddy is a must-visit for any trips to the big Island (as is Daylight Mind in downtown Kailua-Kona - the best cafe/roastery we found).

LATrapp

#3: Post by LATrapp »

caldwa- Just curious, did you set up your visit to Hula Daddy in advance? When I was there a couple of years ago, they didn't seem to interested in sampling some of their better coffees. I gently asked a few times but was traveling with some friends who didn't want to spend the afternoon at Hula Daddy as much as I did. You got to sample some of their already brewed coffee from a thermos and then they basically just pointed to their heaps of bagged packaged coffees without any roast dates for sale.

huladaddy

#4: Post by huladaddy »

Aloha We regularly pull out and brew any of our coffees on request. Sometimes we get busy and we don't get it that someone wants to try another coffee. We apologize for not brewing the coffee you wanted to sample. When you come back ask for me and I will personally brew any coffee you want. Mahalo for taking the time to leave a comment. Karen

Boldjava

#5: Post by Boldjava »

Aloha Karen. Congrats on continued quality Kona.

Seen Miguel lately or has he moved to Ka'u?

BoldJava
-----
LMWDP #339

huladaddy

#6: Post by huladaddy »

Miguel lives in Kau but comes by regularly. We taught a quality class together last fall and he was a judge in the Kona Coffee Competition.

caldwa

#7: Post by caldwa »

LATrapp wrote:caldwa- Just curious, did you set up your visit to Hula Daddy in advance? When I was there a couple of years ago, they didn't seem to interested in sampling some of their better coffees. I gently asked a few times but was traveling with some friends who didn't want to spend the afternoon at Hula Daddy as much as I did. You got to sample some of their already brewed coffee from a thermos and then they basically just pointed to their heaps of bagged packaged coffees without any roast dates for sale.
We didn't set up in advance - they have their hours listed on their website, and do tours/sampling as people come in. When I came in, they actually had the Red Bourbon in the thermos to taste, and it happened to have just been brewed. I know that their availability of each coffee fluctuates based on crop/roasting schedule, and they mentioned that they just got the RB back on the floor so that is perhaps why they were sampling it. We bought a bag of beans, and it has the roast date on the bottom (it was about 3-5 days post-roast, so still fresh). Everyone at Hula Daddy was great - we loved the tour and tasting coffees. We didn't try anything beyond what was already out this time, but when I went 3 years ago they pulled some special stuff for us to try, as it was less busy at that time.

LATrapp

#8: Post by LATrapp »

Thanks HulaDaddy/Karen and caldwa! Looks like a return visit is in order next time I'm out there.