Malhkonig K30 Vario, can't adjust grind. - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mr_pedro

#11: Post by mr_pedro »

So just to be sure:
You found the zero point, so that with the lid on, you turn it to fine and you can hear the burrs barely touching
then, in that setting, you put 18g of freshly roasted beans in and grind them
afterwards you can still hear the burrs barely touching
you now should have about 17g in your basket
and this gives you a double in 9s?

Have you inspected the burrs? If you remove the 3 screws on top you can take the top burr holder out and check that all looks normal.

Flipper

#12: Post by Flipper »

Hi raven!

well indeed this sounds like there's something wrong here. Maybe misaligned shaft or something with the burrs....
The standard of delivery of a new machine would be that the particles are way too fine for any flow...;-) The Mahlkönig guys in the US will take thorough care for sure, don't worry! Cheers!

raven (original poster)

#13: Post by raven (original poster) »

Turns out it wasn't anything easy to fix so in the end I did send it back to Malhkonig.
They said the adjuster was defective causing the burrs to not be parallel. Replaced the whole grind chamber and adjuster.
They just shipped it back, should arrive in two days. Thanks for everybody's help

stahlee

#14: Post by stahlee »

I had the exact same issue with my new K30. No amount of adjustment would work, as if it made no difference. I even took the grinder down to the burrs just barely touching and it would grind just as quick as on 10. Mahlkonig sent me a new one last week and this one is perfect. I think it was a May 2014 build. Perhaps a bad batch.