Quickmill Anita overheating and wet steam problems

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
lel

#1: Post by lel »

I have Quickmill Anita that I've been using for almost 6 years. No major repairs were done, just replacing of rubber parts, insulation and tubing. Recently it developed 2 problems:

1. Overheating. The machine runs too hot. Often the pump does not start because thermal fuse prevents it from running. When I remove an outer metal shell and expose the internal parts everything works fine. What could be the problem and what should be replaced/adjusted?

2. Wet steam. Sometimes the steam is too wet and water squirts from a steam wand not just in a first few seconds but continuously together with a steam. If I let water run from a water wand the pump does not start until about 10 oz of water is drained. After draining a water steam quality immediately gets better - clean and not wet anymore. Same question here - what could be a problem and what to replace?

Thank you for your help.

cuppajoe

#2: Post by cuppajoe »

When was it last descaled?
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

lel (original poster)

#3: Post by lel (original poster) »

I have descaled it only once, after 3 or 4 years of use. There was no scale at all in the group and the water from boiler was only slightly colored. So it's been 2 or 3 years since decaling. I only use water commercially cleaned by reverse osmosis, so scale should not be an issue. Am I wrong?

lel (original poster)

#4: Post by lel (original poster) »

After doing more research, I found this topic that describes an overheating problem similar to mine. According to it the failing element is a pressurestat. I will do the recommended measurements later tonight and see what ohmmeter shows.

cuppajoe

#5: Post by cuppajoe »

Very good. One thing about the Anita is it's easy to get into and there's lots of room to work. Easy to test with the cover off as well, so long as nobody did a funky plumb-in mod...
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

lel (original poster)

#6: Post by lel (original poster) »

Pressure stat seems to be working, at least it reacts on adjustments. One thing I noticed that it was set too high. I have adjusted it and the machine runs much cooler now. Another thing I see that vacuum breaker valve does not close completely. The steam keeps coming out of it and a silicone tube attached to it is always hot. I have replaced it 2 years ago, looks like it has to be replaced again. Could it be a reason for overheating?

keepitsimple

#7: Post by keepitsimple replying to lel »

Absolutely. For the pressurestat to respond properly it needs a closed system - i.e. no boiler leaks. A leak will mean the pressure doesn't rise sufficiently to switch the heater off at the correct point, so it will just get hotter and hotter.