Chemex Filter Adhesion

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
bostonbuzz

#1: Post by bostonbuzz »

Just wondering, when you wet your chemex white filters before brewing, do they adhere to the glass sides uniformly, or only right above the narrowest part of the neck at the bottom of the filter?

Mine only stick at the narrowest point of the glass for about 1". You can see the the top 75% of the filter is not up against the glass wall, except for one side (where the filter is off axis). I'm wondering if they are all like this, or if I have a strange one.

In the past, I have refolded the filters about 1cm so the conical angle changes and they adhere more uniformly. I'm not sure if adhesion makes a difference, but I just want to know if mine is different.

Thanks!
LMWDP #353

[creative nickname]

#2: Post by [creative nickname] »

Mine usually adhere uniformly. I use the 8-cup, glass-handled chemex, with the pre-folded circle filters.
LMWDP #435

kajer

#3: Post by kajer »

Uniform. I have a wood collar 8cup chemex. Square brown filters.

ecuew

#4: Post by ecuew »

I've wondered the same, as my filters don't adhere uniformily either. Usually the side with one layer is off at the top. I'm using a 6 cup with the "circle"/straight-top filters.

DouloScott

#5: Post by DouloScott »

I use the large glass handled one and I try to have the single layer adhered to the glass so that the three layers have a little room over the pouring spout.

Goldensncoffee

#6: Post by Goldensncoffee »

Mine are the same way (slightly off) . I have a 6 cup and use the bleached square filters

bostonbuzz (original poster)

#7: Post by bostonbuzz (original poster) »

Interesting. I have the original with the wood neck in the 6 or 8 cup version (I'm not sure). It looks like maybe the 6 cup one has an issue, although it's too small of a sample size to tell.

I think I'll go to a shop and get another one (armed with a filter in hand) :D
LMWDP #353

grog

#8: Post by grog »

I have an older wood neck 8 cup, using the bleached square filters and they fit as you describe - not uniform with just the bottom inch or so adhering. I guess the issue here is unintentional bypass brewing?
LMWDP #514

clynch

#9: Post by clynch »

My 10 cup chemex sticks all the way up. The 3 cup only the bottom. Must be the geometry of the pot and filter.
Charlie