Rocket Giotto Premium Plus won't start - Diagnostic help appreciated - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Plainespresso

#21: Post by Plainespresso »

To make a long story short, I replaced the control box and yet my giotto does not start heating up. I pull the lever and I can hear the pump working. Can any of you have similar issue?

So
1. Green light is on but not heating or no filling water sound
2. I have a new control board
3. when I pull the lever, water comes out from the group head and I see pump working.

Any help will be great. Many thanks in advance.

erics
Supporter ★

#22: Post by erics »

I replaced the control box . . .
Is this an original ECM Giotto or a Rocket Giotto?

What is the Codice of the box you HAD and what is the Codice of the replacement? The resistance of the heating element should be 10.7 to 10.8 ohms and keep in mind that the pressurestat controls a relay in the Gicar box which controls the heating element.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Advertisement
Plainespresso

#23: Post by Plainespresso »

Thanks Eric,
It is a Rocket Giotto. And I got the identical the control box.
You said Gicar Box. But I do not see Gicar box in my machine. Instead it says Sirai. Are you saying that this one is bad?
Please forgiveness my limited knowledge on the machine.

erics
Supporter ★

#24: Post by erics »

Instead it says Sirai.
Limited knowledge is what we all had "waaaaaaaaay back when". It is a very bumpy road.

The Sirai is likely your pressurestat while the control box is likely a ProLind (sp).
Skål,

Eric S.

Plainespresso

#25: Post by Plainespresso »

So do you think that I need a new Sirai given the descriptions of my espresso machine's behaviors?

erics
Supporter ★

#26: Post by erics »

Post some pics of the internals of YOUR machine . . . especially in the vicinity of the Sirai pressurestat.
Skål,

Eric S.

Plainespresso

#27: Post by Plainespresso »

Following are the pictures

Advertisement
erics
Supporter ★

#28: Post by erics »

As a POTENTIALLY easy fix, remove the top of the Sirai pressurestat (it simply lifts off) and swap the wires from one set of terminals to the next set.

Obviously, do all of this with the machine unplugged. If you have any trepidations, call me at 301-587-5033.
Skål,

Eric S.

homeburrero
Team HB

#29: Post by homeburrero »

Also, just in case you haven't already, try pressing that red reset button on your thermal safety switch, then plug it in and give it a quick test.

P.S.
Is that Sirai box the thing that you replaced? That is a pressurestat. The control box is a different thing - has a lot of wires going to it, and is off the lower edge of your second picture.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Plainespresso

#30: Post by Plainespresso »

Thanks to Eric my espresso machine returned to the land of living. ( I also want to say thank you to homeburrero for the tip.)
I can go on and on about how much grateful I am for Eric's expertise and kindness. I will simply say that I will not waste any drop of espresso as my expression of gratitude to you.

In my case the procedure was a lot simpler than I expected. As you can read my earlier posts, I had green light on and water comes out from the group head but not heating going on. I changed the control box with the exactly the same one, but no improvement.
So this is what Eric ask me to me. I open the Sirai box and change the wiring from the first picture to the second one. That was it.
As simple as the repair was, Eric cautioned me that the machine should not be connected to the power source. So be careful about it before you do this.
After this simple fix, when I witched the machine on, I heard a familiar sound.
Now I am ready to get illegally caffeinated and work tonight.

(1) When my espresso machine was not working, the wiring was just like the picture below.

(2) I changed the two wires on the right to the left.

Again many thanks to Eric and I hope that this post is helpful for others as well.