Wanted: A step by step of how to measure bean temperature in a Behmor

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
brownmanups

#1: Post by brownmanups »

Hi everyone, first time posting (Hi Dan!)

I am soon to be a proud and excited owner of a Behmor 1600+ (shipped from Roastmasters finally!)... and I am hearing that people have modded the machine to include a thermocouple that can help you track the bean temperature. I have been reading how important it is to get a read, so I started browsing forums everywhere to try and track down a step by step how-to. Unfortunately, most people are just posting pictures of the mod, or are explaining it for people who are super advanced.

So, for the kind people in this community -- Can you provide a step-by-step tutorial of how to install a thermocouple and monitor the bean temperature in a Behmor 1600? I'd love to spend less than $100 on the project, but let's assume cost isn't a huge factor.

Thanks, and looking forward to engaging with the community here.

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

Follow the link in my post right before this one. I think that's as good as you'll find anywhere.

Ira

brownmanups (original poster)

#3: Post by brownmanups (original poster) »

Hi -- yes I did see that, but the pictures don't explain drill bit sizes, the parts you used, etc. I was hoping for what is the equivalent of a cooking recipe for installing just one sensor -- the thermocouple, and a recommended reader.

From what I can gather, it looks like you drilled a hole in the exact spot the drum sits, and then drilled another hole in the drum so the thermocouple feeds through... is that right?

Thanks for your help, and looks like a sweet hack.

djbetterly
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by djbetterly »

@brownmanups, I'm with you on this one. I've been searching for days on how to do this. I'd like to do it right the first time. I know Ira has purchased his probes from Omega in the past - but I still don't know the exact one he purchased. I did find a link to one from a canadian company that ships the product from China, apparently it takes about two weeks but its a really good probe for the money - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Thermocouple-K-T ... 3a6fcb736d.

I also found this placement, not sure how well it works though, I haven't been able to get in touch with the guy who did the mod.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sircoupe/ ... otostream/

Have you had any more development with your research?

ira
Team HB

#5: Post by ira »

I have that probe and I don't think that placement will get you much if any useful temperature information in a Behmor. I've never seen a suitable probe for getting bean temperature on eBay. To fit through the axle you'll need a 1/8" or less diameter probe, I used 1/8 x 12" but I would choose 1/16 by 6" or 8" if I was to purchase another probe. Not to say it would work but it would allow a tighter bend radius which would be better if a 1/16 probe can stand up to being constantly hammered by the beans. You also need to make something to locate it in the same place every time you insert it so it does not get hung up on the vanes. You can see what I did, but I have 2 lathes and a baby mill so some thing are easier for me. I drilled the hole through the axle as big as I thought I could get away with. If you miss, you pretty much destroy the drum so plan ahead.

keno

#6: Post by keno »

brownmanups wrote: So, for the kind people in this community -- Can you provide a step-by-step tutorial of how to install a thermocouple and monitor the bean temperature in a Behmor 1600? I'd love to spend less than $100 on the project, but let's assume cost isn't a huge factor.
Save your money and if you want bean temp and the ability to manipulate it, get a different roaster.

A bean temp probe sits in the bean mass which means it is in contact with the beans. In the Behmor the beans are inside a mesh drum that prevents you from running a thermocouple probe into the bean mass. The probe in the Flicker photo is essentially an ET probe. By itself it will not be much use.