Olympia Cremina shorted out (pow!). See pics of split heating element. - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Christo (original poster)

#11: Post by Christo (original poster) »

Here is the heating element. The calcium looks worse than it is. Not that much and it came off easily. Look at the coils though. They're actually split open. What I thought was a quick solder-job may have turned into having to replace the heating element.

Chris
LMWDP #476

drgary
Team HB

#12: Post by drgary »

Yes. Sorry to see that. It's pricey but should be an easy fix to swap in a new one. It probably cracked open and arced right out down to the terminal post that melted off. And it looks like it blew where it was most covered in scale. You probably know this but the U.S. Olympia Express dealer is Cerini Brothers Coffee in New York. Here's their link to the heating element for $169. You'll want to check with them and make sure it fits your machine. It is listed under the 1967 model Cremina, and they're very service oriented.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#13: Post by Christo (original poster) »

Thanks for the link! Wish someone made one like my current one. As Doug points out I'll have to bend the intake tube because it will hit the coil and the safety thermostat is in a different place so I'll have to cut a hole in the bottom plate to accommodate it. Small adjustments I guess.
Chris
LMWDP #476

#14: Post by Christo (original poster) »

Talked to Cerini Coffee. Out of heating elements for now. Expect a shipment soon, so I'll be upgrading as soon as available.
Chris
LMWDP #476

drgary
Team HB

#15: Post by drgary »

Chris,

It may be easier to install the element with the new plate and bend the dipper tube. Johnny Cerini can talk you through your repair and if you're hesitant to bend the tube maybe he'll do that for you.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

XCman

#16: Post by XCman »

Check with Orphan Espresso. I replaced one like yours with one I got from them. It was a 1000W element
from a Breville. Not sure which model. Not sure if they have any in stock but they might be able to get you
one. It was an easy swap,all you need a hack saw, drill and about 45min of time. I've had zero problems with mine.