Features Essential to an HX Espresso Machine

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
discipline7

#1: Post by discipline7 »

I am in the market for a new semi-auto that will pull an exceptional shot. Simple question, but I need a machine that my "Keep It Simple S*****" wife won't be intimidated using and one that I won't freak out if she doesn't follow the right procedure, i.e. burn our the heating element for example. So I am looking for a semi - auto that has preferably a copper boiler, brass and stainless are O.K. in that order but I won't go near an aluminum boiler or one that is nickel plated. I am a Metallurgist and understand the draw backs of these materials in the harsh environment of a boiler system. It is essential that it have a 3 way solenoid to relieve pressure in the basket, I would like a level gauge in the boiler that would sense water level and shut off when it gets too low, and I would like to see a machine with boiler auto fill, so I know the heating element is always protected. Those are the essentials, I'll thank everyone in advance for their time in responding in a timely fashion. You see my wife wants the machine for Thanksgiving dinner and entertaining over the holidays and if I don't buy one soon she is going to be very disappointed. I would like to keep it under $1500. Sincerely, dicipline7 -

DanoM

#2: Post by DanoM »

All modern HX machines will have all the features you request there, and most will have copper boilers. No aluminum boilers in the $1000+ range I THINK.

You didn't mention the grinder - the most important part of the setup. Do you already have a grinder, or is there a separate budget for the grinder? (A Baratza Vario would get you started in espresso, but you can do better too.)

Many of the sponsors/vendors of this site can put together a package deal for you with machine, grinder, initial supplies, steaming pitcher, tamp, etc. If you are interested in going that route you might want to give them a call to see what they would recommend and double check those recommendations here on the forums too.
LMWDP #445

monkeyboy

#3: Post by monkeyboy »

Do you and your wife have good skills to begin with? If not - you may be disappointed if you are trying to master it by Thanksgiving.
I got mine over a week ago - it takes time and practice to dial it in, I have a long way to go. I have years of cooking experience and thought I would pick it up quicker. No way on earth my wife could pull a shot.

Most modern machines will fit your criteria. Check semi-automatics and Prosumer at ChrisCoffee, WholeLatteLove. Maybe a superautomatic is a better fit - just suggesting...

boar_d_laze

#4: Post by boar_d_laze »

In the ~$1500 range and under (new machine, only) you're balancing build quality against ease of use. The choices are one of several HX types or the Breville Double Boiler 920XL (aka BDB).

The Breville is a much easier machine to use and friendlier to operate for its size and numerous design features, but is somewhat plasticky.

The HXs in your price range come in two flavors, either with E-61 or Bezzera groups. Either way, an HX machine comes with something else -- a rather steep learning curve. Unless your wife takes a barista class (good idea!) it's going to take her a couple of months of practice before she's consistent and comfortable pulling good shots and steaming milk.

One of the great things about HXs, even the compact HXs which occupy your price range, is their steaming capacity. Compared to any of theirs, the BDB's is slightly limited. I think it's good enough for light entertaining though. Contrariwise, the BDB has better production capacity for straight shots. Either way, you're not going to get commercial production capacity in your price range.

GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER

Most people new to espresso overrate the importance of the machine in the equipment chain, while underrating that of the grinder. It seems -- from your first post -- that you're one of the "most." Ordinarily the grinder is the heart of the system AND the purchasing ritual. However, I gather you're looking for a soup to nuts approach so will cut to the chase.

The least expensive grinder that will give you good espresso and be relatively easy to learn is the Baratza Vario. Since time to the holidays is getting short, you probably don't want to wait for a refurb to come up online at the Baratza website. New Varios run $480 everywhere.

If you're buying a prosumer HX or a BDB, I can't recommend a lesser performing grinder.

For good or ill, Baratza Varios are designed with the same in the cup bang for the buck vs build quality tradeoff as BDBs. Bottom line, it's going to cost you hundreds of dollars to get a grinder which will give you nearly as good a cup of espresso, and still hundreds more to do it with the same ease of use.

Otherwise
An alternative, as user-friendly but less expensive than a BDB machine would be a hybrid Crossland CC1. It's a good little starter machine but because its produciton and steaming capacities are so limited, it's not a good choice if entertaining is high on your list. Still, the CC1 + Vario combination is widely available for $1000.

Bottom Line
I'm a confirmed HX user myself. But given the inherent limitations of the compact HXs in your price range, as well as your need for machines with relatively flat learning curves, I feel like a BDB + Vario comes closest to fulfilling your needs.

Soup to nuts, including all necessary accessories and a "system discount," you're looking at just under $2000.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

First of all, I recommend you peruse How to choose an espresso machine and grinder at the "right" price, especially the video on buying advice. It will answer many of your initial questions and provide the necessary background to narrow your queries. I agree with monkeyboy -- you may be disappointed if you acquire an espresso setup and only have 1-2 weeks to learn how to use it properly before serving guests. The Newbie Introduction to Espresso video series will give you an idea of what's involved. If you prefer videos that are shorter and more professionally produced, check out Boot Camp Barista.
Dan Kehn