Need your help with espresso machine/grinder for food truck combo.

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Alexey

#1: Post by Alexey »

Hello,

I'm new on the forum, really like how you run it. But I can't find a proper topic with the information that I'm looking for. I'm looking to run a food truck next year with sweet baking and coffee. I will really appreciate your opinion and advice about choosing right grinder and espresso machine for commercial food truck using. I don't have a budget range right now but like I understand after reading different topics here I can do it around $3000? I can be wrong... If you'll suggest different combos in different price ranges I will be even more happy, thank you so much for your help and time guys! :wink: I just want to be sure I'm doing it right to produce quality product.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Below are some worthwhile discussions on the subject:

Espresso Van Project
Starting an espresso catering company, looking for some tips
Ideal espresso machine for a mobile coffee cart

I thought the two group lever Astoria at Coffee Shaw was a pretty slick setup that required no generator (it used propane and a battery + power inverter). I've seen several e-commerce sites specializing in turnkey solutions for mobile espresso service. Might be worth spending an evening with Google.
Dan Kehn

Alexey (original poster)

#3: Post by Alexey (original poster) »

Thank you very much for help. I'll check them all! We'll have a generator too.

pacificmanitou

#4: Post by pacificmanitou »

I have thought about this to great lengths as I have entertained the idea of putting together a coffee trailer for food truck rallys and local events. The big problem is enough power for everything without relying on an external source. At minimum you have to run a grinder and a refrigerator, as well as a pump system for fresh water in the boiler. (you can run your drain on gravity) I decided I would rather run the machine on propane/gas than generate enough wattage to keep it at power. Additionally, a lever is ideal because it doesn't have to run a pump system. This astoria is hardly the most beautiful lever, but it is readily available with a gas kit.

http://www.espressoparts.com/equipment/ ... so-machine.

As for a grinder, you want the lowest power draw possible. Even though the load is intermittent (you're not running the grinder constantly) you don't want a huge load on your system. In my mind that means using the lowest power grinder your throughput allows, but I would want the opinion of someone who understands electricity a little better. As with any other grinder choice, higher quality leads to huge leaps in taste.
LMWDP #366

Alexey (original poster)

#5: Post by Alexey (original poster) »

Appreciate your help! Thank you. :wink: