Bunn G3 in an Oak Box - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
TomC
Team HB

#21: Post by TomC »

Definitely take some wide angle shots of the whole thing soon. It's looking pretty cool!
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

DJR (original poster)

#22: Post by DJR (original poster) »

Here are some more shots now the it's more or less finished.

I made a small improvement. The lid opens like a pencil box, but needed a stop to keep from opening past the wood funnel. I did this with a 3/8" ball bearing that serves as a detent. The underside of the lid has two holes that catch on the ball bearing as the lid is slid. Slightly more pressure overrides the detent. Originally I was thinking of spring loading it as most detents are. But the weight of the lid and loose fit of the tracks allows it to be gravity operating without a spring.

Here is the lid opened up to the detent location:

Here is looking down on the ball bearing (it is located on the top edge of the rear wall of the grinder) and the lid removed and flipped upside down to show the hole which drops onto the ball bearing.

And here it is under the counter. Later this winter I'll turn some wood cups (from an oak that fell down) for loading and catching the coffee.

ripvanmd

#23: Post by ripvanmd »

That is simply awesome. I have a G1 that is pretty beat up in my garage. You make me wish I paid attention in shop class. Strong work.

DJR (original poster)

#24: Post by DJR (original poster) »

Sometimes, (like when grinding for a relative who has no grinder), having a single dosing machine is annoying. I used a hopper, which has a gate in the bottom, so it can be put on a scale (closed), one can weigh a pound of beans (tare first) and put it in the grinder. That little stainless tab is the gate:

It works very well (as long as I slide the machine so the spout is hanging past the counter) grinding directly into a bag. It only takes a couple seconds to switch it from bulk mode to single.

You can see from the above that where I have the red arrow is between detents, and so far it seems to be stable; in other words it doesn't move out of position. I haven't test it thoroughly, though, which I'll do at some point.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by JohnB. »

DJR wrote:You can see from the above that where I have the red arrow is between detents, and so far it seems to be stable; in other words it doesn't move out of position. I haven't test it thoroughly, though, which I'll do at some point.
If it does slip just adjust the detent screw so there is a little more pressure. I adjusted between detents with the original 9 detent plate & do it all the time with the newer 27 detent plate. I haven't seen any movement with either set up but I did set the tension with the adjustment screw.
LMWDP 267

DJR (original poster)

#26: Post by DJR (original poster) »

John B.,

There are a couple things I've been meaning to ask you. If they've been asked and answered, you could put in a link. Anyhow, I greatly appreciate your posts.

1. How did you figure out that the Ditting Burrs would fit?

2. Have you tried it very much with espresso? If so, could you share your results and opinions, eg how does it compare to espresso dedicated grinders?

3. Have you noticed that the grind adjustment doesn't seem linear? In other words, is it my imagination or does it go from pretty tiny adjustments on the fine end to sort of gross adjustments on the coarse end, with each adjustment movement being the same? I mean, mine goes from a sort of medium fine grind and then suddenly I'm in coarse grind. Not sure if this is clear.

Thanks,

dan

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by JohnB. »

DJR wrote:1. How did you figure out that the Ditting Burrs would fit?
Lots of time with Google looking at photos & various machine reviews/write ups. Mark Prince posted a short thread back in 2009 about upgrading his Ditting KF 804 from the stock pressed burrs to the new machined burrs which became available after the Ditting/Malhkonig merger. Knowing that the OD was 80mm I was able to take "measurements" of his photo of the new burrs & determine that the ID was 40mm & that the screw holes should line up with the Bunn holes or so I hoped. It was enough info for me to roll the dice, order a pair & hope that they did indeed fit.
https://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffe ... nes/428927

2. Have you tried it very much with espresso? If so, could you share your results and opinions, eg how does it compare to espresso dedicated grinders?
I've tried it a few times just to see if it was possible & it is. The grind range is very narrow so you really have to vary the dose to dial it in once you've hit the grinders sweet spot. Taste was what I refer to as "brewspresso" which seems to be popular these days with the EK crowd. Not really my thing so I haven't spent much time playing with it.
3. Have you noticed that the grind adjustment doesn't seem linear? In other words, is it my imagination or does it go from pretty tiny adjustments on the fine end to sort of gross adjustments on the coarse end, with each adjustment movement being the same? I mean, mine goes from a sort of medium fine grind and then suddenly I'm in coarse grind. Not sure if this is clear.
If I understand what you are asking then no I'm not seeing that. I had some beans that I was going to toss so I just ran them through B/Z grinding a handful at each of the black dot settings on the old style decal starting with Autodrip. What I see is a nice gradual increase in grind size with each adjustment coarser.

I don't often grind really coarse as I seldom make Press Pot brew anymore but I was pleasantly surprised to see that there were far fewer fines then last time I checked it. The burrs seem to be breaking in nicely. Be advised that the Ditting machined burrs excel in the Drip range & that the new burrs will need a good 15lbs+ run through to even begin to show what they can do.
LMWDP 267

DJR (original poster)

#28: Post by DJR (original poster) »

I've been using my Bunn with Dittings for some time now.

Originally I was having problem with grind retention and spray. I thought I had been clever in making a nice stainless steel exit chute. That was causing the problem. It attracted fines that built up.

Removing the chute solved the problem entirely. 40 grams in 40 grams out, just about every time. There really isn't room in the grind chamber for much buildup and now I grind into a matcha can pressed up against the exit hole.

I also put the grinder on silicon wine barrel bungs, sliced in half which cuts down on the vibration and noise. So far so good...