Spring lever technique: how much do you dose? - Page 4

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
pacificmanitou

#31: Post by pacificmanitou »

cannonfodder wrote:Dose is variable based on the coffee, machine and personal taste. Some coffees extract better at higher extraction ratios which is where the high doses come from. At the same time some pull better at a standard ratio. The machine also plays a part in the dose. Not all machines will take a high dose. For some machines with smaller portafilters a 16 gram dose is updosed since many levers were designed to pull a 14 gram dose at a normal brew ratio. Ignore the dose size and focus on the brew ratio, capacity and personal taste of your machine. In the end, if you are insistent on dosing 20 grams, you may be better off to sell the machine and get one that will take a 20 gram dose even though you are still pulling the same brew ratio with your current machine using a lower dose. Kind of a pointless upgrade but if you just have to have 20-21 gram doses, knock yourself out.

Brewing ratios for espresso beverages
+1
LMWDP #366

mathof

#32: Post by mathof »

On my little La Pavoni EP, I like to shoot for a brew ratio of about 55%. To this end, I dose just over 13g and pull 24g of espresso. I suppose it would be nice to have larger quantities of espresso in the cup, but this machine seems to function best (for my tastes) at these parameters. On the rare occasions, that I am not satisfied by a small espresso, I pull a second. That seems a lot cheaper and less fuss than getting involved in new machines, which would certainly have their own quirks.

Matt