Get a Variac for Caffe Rosto? Or get a Behmor?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
pcrussell50

#1: Post by pcrussell50 »

On edit: Based on the direction this is taking, I'm moving this to the Roasting forum.

I already have the old Caffe Rosto that so many here had so long ago. After years of "passive profiling" tricks, I'm thinking of getting a Variac and adding a thermometer for some more precise profiling and to improve my hit-to-miss ratio.

OR

A Behmor, which I have only just started reading about.

Observation: As with the old standby machine/grinder combo of the Silvia/Rocky that has passed into irrelevance, the search function (here on HB anyway) is coughing up a vibe that the Rosto/Variac team has also passed into irrelevance... seemingly replaced by Behmor. Is that the current school of thought?

Price-wise, it makes sense if you consider the cost of a Rosto + Variac, it's not _that_ far off of a Behmor. Then again, I already own my Rosto, and have for years.

I'm handy with mods and not afraid of being meticulous with my technique. I weigh all my doses and all my extractions, all the time. I'm also romanced by the idea of making old stuff better as long as I don't sacrifice results.

Thoughts?
LMWDP #553

EricBNC

#2: Post by EricBNC »

I have a CR and a Behmor. I use a 20 amp variac with both. I like the results from each machine but can roast larger size batches with the Behmor.
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#3: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

Thanks Eric. One more thing... On your Rosto/Variac setup, did you separate out the fan from the heater so you can control each separately as others have done?

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Dooglas

#4: Post by Dooglas »

Given the capacity and reliability issues with the Caffé Rosto (I used one for several years), I would upgrade to the Behmor rather than spending money on a Variac in an attempt to improve the functioning of the CR.

EricBNC

#5: Post by EricBNC »

pcrussell50 wrote:Thanks Eric. One more thing... On your Rosto/Variac setup, did you separate out the fan from the heater so you can control each separately as others have done?

-Peter
I didn't separate them on my CR
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"