HX espresso machine with ~$1200 budget recommendations

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
acangelosi

#1: Post by acangelosi »

I see this topic all over with the forum search and yet the ones with recommendations are more than a few years old and the newer ones don't seem to come to any conclusion. I am looking for recommendations on an HX in the ~$1200 range.

I will be doing a couple straight shots per day and a couple milk drinks also. The weekends may see up to 6 per day between my wife and I. I would like a hot water dispenser for the occasional tea or pour-over coffee. I have a baratza vario that has served well for a couple years and I have maintained regularly and is still producing consistent results. I will be keeping it in the near term so just need to focus on the machine.

I have settled on HX because I want something simple. The BDB seems like a viable alternative but I keep reading the owner's thread and several people are complaining about things after only 18 months. Sure, they are getting new machines for free or $350 but I envision that I prefer a straightforward mechanical system.

Vibiemme Junior - $1245
Expobar Office Lever Plus - $1049
Bezzera BZ07 - $1227
La Nuova Era Cuadra - $1227

These options all seem pretty close to each other. The Expobar stands out because it is currently on sale at WLL plus there is a coupon code for $100 off. This leave a little in the budget for a couple accessories that I don't *need* but would be nice to have.

#1 what are your thoughts?
#2 am I missing something in this range?

Thanks for the help and good pulling!

gophish

#2: Post by gophish »

I don't know if I'll be able to completely answer your question, but I'll hopefully be able to get you started. First, I will say that you probably don't want to use the hot water tap on any of these for making drinks. The water that comes out of the tap is typically far too hot (flash boiling but you could let it sit a minute), will require ample recovery time after for the temp to re-stabilize and require more frequent filling of the water tank. For hot water needs, you're probably better off using the microwave or a kettle.

Functionally, those machines, as well as those like the quick mill anita, faema carisma, and others will be very similar. All, but the Bezzera BZ07, which has an electrical heated group, feature an E-61 esque group that is well documented on here in the FAQ pages.

In my opinion, what will sway your decision or where you will see the most difference is in design, visual appeal and materials used. Definitely choose a machine that not only meets your wants/needs, but you also like looking at, because it's a substantial presence in any home. For example, I believe the Cuadra's side panels aren't metal, but polycarbonate or the like, so definitely something to consider. Lastly, make sure to call any of the vendors you are looking to purchase from. The price you see online isn't always the best they can offer.
Versalab

acangelosi (original poster)

#3: Post by acangelosi (original poster) »

Good point on calling the vendors. I have primarily been looking at Chris Coffee, 1st-line, SCG, and WLL. Is there somebody else that I should consider?

And yes, I am aware of customer service experiences in that list...

#4: Post by acangelosi (original poster) »

That is interesting about the hot water tap. I always assumed that is what they were for, to make hot water drinks.

I still would like it for the occasional americano, or is this also not what they are for?

DeGaulle

#5: Post by DeGaulle »

Owning a Bezzera, I don't have issues with using the hot water tap for an americano or a cup of tea, in the sense that the boiler recovers within a reasonable time frame, well within a minute. Since the group head is heated independently, it does not cool down with the initial drop in boiler pressure when the autofill kicks in. I don't know how this compares to the thermosyphon heating on an E61. A positive side effect of using the tap is refreshing the water in the boiler.

You listed the BZ07 for about USD 1200.-. Is this the PID'ed version? If so, you might have an even better deal on the non-PID or the BZ10. Otherwise check out the BZ13, which is the follow-up model (seems equivalent to the Pasquini Livia G4). I personally doubt the added value of a PID on an HX machine, but opinions differ on this.
Bert

#6: Post by acangelosi (original poster) »

Well looks like I am going with the expobar. The dual gauges and ability to plumb in are what sealed the deal. The price doesnt hurt either. Thanks for the input everybody!

Dooglas

#7: Post by Dooglas »

The Expobar is certainly a good buy, and I have to say that I owned an Expobar Pulser for 7 years which treated me well. On the other hand, I now own a VB Domobar Junior. Works great and it is truly beautiful. :wink:

#8: Post by acangelosi (original poster) »

I have had the machine now for 2 days. It is fantastic. I am amazed by the size and weight of it. It took me about 6 shots to get in the ballpark of quality that I can get at local coffee shops. First few were sour since I had the grind way off. I had to recalibrate the vario to get finer.

I am using a local roasters espresso blend and it is fair. I ordered some redbird that should arrive mid-week.

Very happy but also very caffeinated right now. Buzz buzz buzz.

Iskanda

#9: Post by Iskanda »

DeGaulle wrote:I personally doubt the added value of a PID on an HX machine, but opinions differ on this.
In case of a BZ07 a PID for the boiler is nearly useless, as the brewgroup is controlled by the simple TY60 from Campini with a huge hysteresis. What ever you set up for the boiler, the brewgroup will not change. The hysteresis of the group is 3 - 3.5°C.
And - as to my experience - the PID controler are suffering under the heat. After a very few years many owners complained abt broken units.

The BZ07 (without PID) is a suitable machine.