Used Elektra Semiautomatica and grinder

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Winter_182

#1: Post by Winter_182 »

I'm a newbie and have come across an Elektra Semiautomatica at roughly half off retail. It looks to be in good shape. Two questions: (1) What should I look for when I inspect the machine - recognizing I know very little about the mechanical operations of these machines and (2) and the proverbial question on grinders. I'd like to spend $400 or less. Thanks!

pacificmanitou

#2: Post by pacificmanitou »

At $400 or less you are limited to a hand grinder. If that doesn't suit you then you have to spend slightly more for a Baratza Vario, unless you can find a used Super Jolly. I have found grinders in that range that are worth having, but you have to wait a while for them to show up sometimes.

When you check a machine you should ensure its clean, works, and not damaged (dents, corrosion, rust, ect.). Semiautomatica is a machine with a pump. This makes it more complicated, so you should pay attention to the electrical as well as the plumbing.
LMWDP #366

juanitowu

#3: Post by juanitowu »

The elektra semi-automatica is one sexy machine. Unfortunately, I am one to go for form over function so the semi-automatica is the only machine I would have considered as a replacement for my pavoni based on my aesthetic taste.

The reason I decided to stay with my machine was that the semi-automatica seems unreliable based on the account of one poster who had to keep the semi-automatica in the shop several times over the span of a few years - for problems like boiler, pstat replacement etc..

I tried to do further research on the reliability of the semi-automatica but there isn't much information. Let me know if you find any information stating otherwise.

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

Elektra's a long-established, quality manufacturer. Replacing or rebuilding a PSTAT is a periodic chore that happens on most machines, and replacing one is easy and cheap if you need to do that. The Semi-Automatica got a great review here by Jim Schulman.

/elektra-se ... eview.html
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

doubleOsoul

#5: Post by doubleOsoul »

+1