Expobar Office Lever Plus flush routine and other questions

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Jabull

#1: Post by Jabull »

Some questions about my new Expobar Office Lever Plus.
I'm attempting to learn when the water dance starts and stops and will likely get Eric's thermometer soon, but in the mean time would love any help or suggestions with my cooling flush. I have scoured the forums and read what I have found including the learning to love the hx flush article which was helpful. I'm currently confused as i thought that the water dance had stopped when the water from the screen went from multiple streams down to a single stream in the middle, but now i'm no longer sure of that. This is a recent machine that is plumb-able and has the thermosyphon restrictor installed from WLL.

The machine seems to constantly dump a great deal of excess water to the drip tray causing me to have to empty the drip tray very frequently. If i use the water outlet for an americano, when i'm done the machine will dump water for a very long time and i will end up having to empty the drip tray for just this reason alone. This doesn't seem right to me, but i am new to hx machines.

Thanks for any help! Note that I picked up a 5lb bag of RedBird and am liking it very much. After trying several different varieties of other coffees i made the investment into the RedBird big bag so I could find some consistency at least on the bean front with my new machine. :roll: I'm also using a Vario grinder.

CSME9

#2: Post by CSME9 replying to Jabull »

Since the machine is both tank and direct connect it diverts the water back to the drip tray-if you are going to use it in tank mode you can remove the shell, add a Tee fitting with a clear silicone hose and run the excess water back into the water tank. Once you open the machine up you will see its real easy to do. Do a search on HB on the hose diversion back to tank.

Jabull (original poster)

#3: Post by Jabull (original poster) »

Thanks for the tip on the dumping, that makes sense and i'll dig around and see about putting a T in there. I currently have to use the machine in the tank mode until I can get it plumbed in down the road, but i bought the plum-able version hoping to do so eventually. Another thing i noticed is that when i start pulling a shot that the system starts dumping water out the small chrome tube into the drip tray. Is this normal or is my opv set incorrectly? I have read that an opv to high or to low can cause this.

CSME9

#4: Post by CSME9 replying to Jabull »

With the blind filter in what is the gauge reading ? Mine would dump water out of the chrome tube almost immediately, at about 10 bar.
If i remember right, you may not need the tee, the hose that connects to the chrome elbow tube is about 4-5 in long, disconnect it from the opv/aerator side and connect a longer hose to the same place and run it into the water tank.

Jabull (original poster)

#5: Post by Jabull (original poster) »

Thanks for the Tip. Is there generally a good place to get this kind of tubing around town? To your other question, with the blind filter in the top gauge reads at 1.0 which from what i have been reading might be a little on the low side and should actually be about 1.1? With the blind basket in the other lower gauge it's right at 7-8 bars during a shot pull and then finally rests about 9 right at the end.

CSME9

#6: Post by CSME9 replying to Jabull »

This vendor http://www.espressocare.com/search/resu ... ff2c57/P10
or Chris Coffee has the hose you need. Not sure you can find it locally-I never could. Your opv seems to be set to about 9 BAR which is about right. I like mine slightly higher at 10, I believe on the expobar you can adjust the opv by removing the drip tray and there is a slot on the bottom right of the drip tray frame, clockwise increases the pressure. The steam pressure is 1.1 BAR which is a compromise, higher than that will give you more steam but you will have to flush more water to reduce the HX water dance.

Jabull (original poster)

#7: Post by Jabull (original poster) »

Yep found the adjustment behind the drip tray so i will try bumping that just a tiny bit to see what impact it has in general. As far as the steam pressure setting, is that the internal adjustment? I haven't looked for it yet but i'm fairly mechanical. Hose ordered. Thanks for the links.

CSME9

#8: Post by CSME9 »

Jabull wrote:Yep found the adjustment behind the drip tray so i will try bumping that just a tiny bit to see what impact it has in general. As far as the steam pressure setting, is that the internal adjustment? I haven't looked for it yet but i'm fairly mechanical.
The stat is in this photo, turn the knurled body , most other brands have a screw on top but expobars use this type.http://clean-machine.com.au/Coffee-Mach ... pobar.html