Temperature surfing with Ariete Cafe Florence.

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
fede99123

#1: Post by fede99123 »

Hello everyone in the forum, sorry my english. I have this single boiler espresso machine, with despressurized portafilter. I have problems with temperature management, to get reach a reasonable temperature (90 ° - 95 °) i must turn on the steam switch for a few seconds. Anyway, throughout the extraction, I get high temperature that burn my coffee, or get temperatures about 80 °, very low, that sour the extraction. Flushing water cools very fast the boiler, and decrease temp before it can finish the shot. I wonder if there is any temperature surfing technique on this machine, or if there is the possibility of installing a PID.
Regards, Fede.

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

You might check if your machine has a thermoblock for heating. If that is so the deadband (temperature range) may be too wide and hard to control, even with a PID.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
lain2097

#3: Post by lain2097 »

Agreed, I wouldn't waste my time PIDing that as it has so little thermal mass and volume. Even something like a Silvia is somewhat questionable. A decent PID+install parts would be as much as the machine itself.

fede99123 (original poster)

#4: Post by fede99123 (original poster) »

Hi, the machine has a single boiler , I disassembled to check. However it is true that installing a decent pid can cost even more than the value of the machine. I believe that the operation of the boiler and its size should be similar to machines like the Saeco poemia or DeLongui some models. Thanks for the replies.

JimH

#5: Post by JimH »

I would say the real problem here is that the brew thermostat on your boiler is activated at too low of a temperature, only turning on the heating element when the brew water is below 80C. Many different thermostats are available, hopefully you could replace your thermostat with one of a similar style but a higher temperature rating.

To use the machine with its current thermostat, I would suggest looking at the numerous threads describing how to temperature surf a Rancilio Silvia. Once you have raised the boiler temperature using the steam switch, the procedure should be very similar.

fede99123 (original poster)

#6: Post by fede99123 (original poster) »

I just disassemble the machine to extract one of the thermostats. Where the Thermostat is located it says, 95° and 130°, one for brew and the other for steam. There is no problem if I place a higher Thermostat instead of 95?
Regards