Faema Legend E61 descale

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
walshman

#1: Post by walshman »

I'm noticing some white flaky bits in the sight glass on my Legend and I'm guessing this is scale? Would it be necessary to do a descale at this stage? I have descaled a Duetto easily when I used to own one but because the Faema is plumb only it is a different method but not sure how to. How easy is it to descale assuming I have limited knowledge on this ? BTW there is no scale on the mushroom (think that's what its called) Thanks.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#2: Post by cannonfodder »

You may just need to flush the boiler. You should have a boiler drain plug on the bottom of the boiler. Also keep in mind that checking the mushroom checks your heat exchanger circuit and not the boiler. It would be odd to have scale in one and not the other but it could happen.

Descaling a plumbed in machine is easy. Instead of pouring the descale solution into your water reservoir you mix up a 3-5 gallon bucket full. Disconnect the water line to the machine and just drop it into the bucket. The pump will draw from the bucket. You will want to let the machine heat, then turn it off and open the water spigot to flush out the boiler. Then when you turn it on the boiler will be mostly empty and refill with the descale solution. Once it is full you can turn it off, disconnect the boiler fill probe, open the steam wand and turn it back on. When water starts to sputter out the steam wand the boiler is full, turn it back off. Hook the fill probe sensor back up, turn it back on and let it heat and sit for a few hours. You will also need to run the brew group for several seconds (60-70) to flush out the water and fill the heat exchanger with descale solution as well.
Dave Stephens

Advertisement
walshman (original poster)

#3: Post by walshman (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply Dave.