Variacs and Quest M3 - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
GeneBean (original poster)

#11: Post by GeneBean (original poster) »

Jaxx, I will do more research before I try anything with the ground. This Prostat has 5 terminals on a panel on the front of the unit. I can wire it many different ways, I just can't see how to wire it for ground. I called tech support at the mfg. but they brushed me off like I was a fly trying to bother them. Got no help from them.

Jim, I see your point. I just thought if I actually had 110 volts going into the roaster that I may be more able to follow the profiles I'm seeing other people using. But I'm beginning to understand the genius of how manual this roaster is and appreciate it for what it is. I'm going to forgo the variac for now. I think I can figure out a basic profile with some practice.

Another variable is throwing at curve at me: I'm at 6500 feet above see level. My first roast with this wonderful machine produced a full Vienna well into 2K. To my supprise it wasn't half bad. I sometimes do enjoy that ashy flavor but this was far better than anything I ever had at %$#bucks! The bean was a Costa Rica SWP Decaf from Sweet Maria's. I only took the roast to 437f. 1C was 389f.

Thanks to all,
Gene