Expobar Brewtus IV dual-boiler steam potential - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
DaveC

#11: Post by DaveC »

tkenny53 wrote:where did you get your 2k watt heater?
One thing I will point out is the Brewtus DB steam pressure is deliberately low by design, to prevent overheating of the brew boiler (as far as the probe is concerned). The brew boiler is large and the exit from the HX in the steam boiler is directly to the top of the brew boiler. The HX is also fairly large and a fair bit of very hot water can enter the brew boiler...hot water doesn't sink so it doesn't mix well....the thermal probe is also at the top of the brew boiler!

if you pull more than one shot sequence in succession, this will start to show in the PID.

The wiring of the machine is also not designed for a 2KE heating element on US voltage.

ericruff

#12: Post by ericruff »

Here is an easier way to get great microfoam from a Brewtus. For this I have to thank Steve Simmons who left this invaluable comment on his review of the Brewtus at WholeLatte Love:

1. Remove the steam arm with a wrench.
2. Replace the steam arm with a La Marzocco 'GB-5/FB-80' Steam Wand.
3. Replace the tip with a Sproline Foam Knife 1 Steam Tip.

I was able to get these parts from:
Espresso Parts LLC
info@espressoparts.com
360-357-7781
La Marzocco 'GB-5/FB-80' Steam Wand $37.42 USD
Sproline Foam Knife 1 Steam Tip $105.00 USD

If you haven't heard about the Foam Knife 1 Steam Tip, you might want to look into it. David Schomer, owner of the fabulous Espresso Vivace coffee shops in Seattle says, "Steaming with this revolutionary steam tip creates the finest, most silky cappuccino foam I have ever served at Vivace."

You need the La Marzocco steam wand because it will accommodate the Foam Knife Steam Tip. Also, giving up the teflon tubing inside the Brewtus stock steam wand, while it changes the steam wand from a "no-burn" to a "burn-me" wand, also results in much increased steam flow to the tip.

The mod was something even I could do. You need a crescent wrench, but you don't have to open the machine up. I did it on a Brewtus II and and a Brewtus IV-R and the results are spectacular. The mod takes about 3 minutes. Here is some more technique from Steve Simmons:

Before steaming your milk, blast some steam out of the steam arm until the pump kicks on (indicated by orange light illuminating). Turn off the steam and wait until the steam pressure builds back up to the point the boiler turns off (around 1.5 bar). Then steam as normal and you should have more than enough steam for a great latte/cappuccino. This ensures steam pump is actively creating steam as you froth and that you are starting with maximum pressure.

Happy steaming! - Eric

Advertisement
bostonbuzz

#13: Post by bostonbuzz »

I'd just like to add that generally speaking machines that produce dry steam can all produce perfect microfoam. If there is a problem it's user error or too large or too many holes on the tip. The boiler can't handle big holes, as you experienced. The solution is fewer/smaller holes or a larger element/boiler. For instance the BDB makes great foam and is an anemic steamer.
LMWDP #353

jeebsy

#14: Post by jeebsy »

I use a Brewtus with four hole tip....my pours are awful but think my texture is generally decent. It can be done.