Newbie - Just bought a vintage La Pavoni

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
WhataLongStrangeTrip

#1: Post by WhataLongStrangeTrip »

Hey guys, I've been drinking espresso and lurking this site for awhile. The bug finally caught up with me and I've purchased a -from what I can tell- pre-millennium La Pavoni lever machine. I've done plenty of reading on these; the only question I'm left with is what do I actually have to do on the day I get it to prevent damage to the machine? Should I completely disassemble and inspect it, will I have to rewire an outlet if the device is higher than 120v? I'm hoping there are tags still intact on the base, I stupidly forgot to ask for pictures/a description before I finalized the deal. Here's a link to the eBay listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131319915022

One last thing: I've pretty much settled on Orphan Espresso as far as grinders go (with preference towards the Pharos) but I absolutely cannot find any of them used. I can't afford new equipment, and I would appreciate any help with either sourcing a used OE device, or some help with finding something else.

Thanks!

OldNuc

#2: Post by OldNuc »

Look inside for scale and make sure it has water in it before powering on. It has a 120v plug so it should be good to go.

five and dime

#3: Post by five and dime »

Hi jerry-
Yep it's a premillenium. 110 volts so no re-wiring required, you'll want to remove the bottom cover and inspect the wiring check for rust or any clues to leaks. You'll need either a stubby phillips or a Torx bit (I think a T-10) depending on the year. Check your lever pins for wear, if they are fine, grease em up with a drop of mineral oil. Also when pulling the lever up it should be silky- if it's not, there's a good chance you need a group rebuild. If that all checks out fill her up 2/3rds with water and once at temperature, check for leaks. Good luck!
Lane Brookshire

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

From the listing that looks like a great score! If it works here's what it can do. :D

Reaching the Zen Zone with a Two Switch La Pavoni
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

forbeskm

#5: Post by forbeskm »

Congratulations on the new Pavoni! I can't get enough of them. If you can't find a pharos, a Lido 2 will work fine. I have used one twice daily since I think march, I lose track, makes great espresso just a little more work I am told (never had a pharos).

rpavlis

#6: Post by rpavlis »

This seems to be a REAL brass and copper machine. La Pavoni has made bizarre chrome units that are overplated to look like this. The boiler is unplated copper on the real ones. You can test the base with a magnet to be sure, but I think this base is also real brass, not plated steel. This is desirable, because it will not rust. You should find this out. I would consider it worth at LEAST $100 more when "real" because of the problem of peeling plating on the fake brass and copper ones, and the problem of rust on all ones with steel bases.

The clue is that the flange that connects the boiler to the group is brass coloured, as well as the lips on the top of the boiler and the part of the boiler that connects to the base.

Your machine also has wooden handles instead of cheap plastic.

I would recommend that you measure the length of the bolts that attach the group to the boiler. La Pavoni's specifications call for 14 mm, but many are apparently 12mm. This nearly resulted in my stripping the threads on mine, because 12mm is NOT long enough. There are threads on this potential problem on HB.

Mine is similar to yours, except mine came with plastic handles and knobs which I have since replaced with ones I made. Mine had amazingly large deposits of calcium carbonate when I got it, the group was filled with it too. This had completely destroyed the piston seals, and was beginning to produce scoring on the group walls. The tube to the pressurestat was also partly blocked. Mine is 1999 production, yours is a bit older because it has two switches instead of a pressurestat, it does not have a detachable steam wand, and it has a metal cover on the sight glass.

The advantage of the two switch system is that air is automatically bled from the top boiler through the pressure relief valve as it warms up, and you can simply raise the group handle momentarily after it gets up to pressure to bleed the air from the group. The disadvantage is that if you should fail to disconnect the power you can burn out the element. Remember turn on both elements when you first turn it on until it begins to hiss loudly, then turn off the 800 watt element. It should continue to hiss very very softly after that.

Your machine almost certainly has a brass piston, because it was made before the few years that they had plastic ones.

I consider yours a VERY desirable machine.

rpavlis

#7: Post by rpavlis »

I noticed another thing. Both of the baskets on the image seem to be "singles" baskets. You certainly want a "doubles" one.

The 1974-2000 groups like this machine is seem to have were supplied with two different styles of portafilters. The late ones usually will take Elektra MCAL doubles baskets. I cannot tell which this is from the pictures, though I think it is the style that was manufactured later, because the unplated ones I have seen of the earlier design are copper coloured rather than brass. The early ones do not seem to work with the MCAL ones without chopping. (That is something I refuse to do with mine because it is an irreversible modification.)

If you look on the inside of the portafilter you can tell in an instant which one you have--the OLDER one has a smooth curve as you go from the exit point along the edge to the top of the vertical walls. The NEWER ones, the ones that usually work with MCAL filter baskets, have a sort of ridge at the bottom of the vertical walls.

The MCAL filter baskets are MUCH less expensive than 49mm La Pavoni and work better.