LIDO 2 vs. Pharos for Clever Coffee Dripper and AeroPress? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
[creative nickname]

#11: Post by [creative nickname] »

The Pharos has significantly more retention than the Lido 2. If you aren't noticing static, it is because you cannot see all the coffee that is stuck inside the funnel. For either, you can reduce the retention by misting the beans with a light spritz of water before grinding, but even after that you'll need to bump the Pharos a few times to dislodge the grinds from the funnel and burrs.

The hybrid, filter/immersion methods like AP and CCD are among the most forgiving forms of brewing, which is probably why you haven't noticed a difference. If you did traditional pour-overs, or french press, the benefits of the Lido 2 over the Pharos might become more apparent. I own both, and I regularly use the Pharos for espresso, but I do not think it is competitive with the Lido 2 for brewing.
LMWDP #435

wacomme (original poster)

#12: Post by wacomme (original poster) »

Thank you. With this information I'll most likely sell the Pharos.
Michael

bostonbuzz

#13: Post by bostonbuzz »

The problems you cite. Do not experience. I stopped RDT on the lido. I just give it a whack with my hand when the jar is half unscrewed. The lido is better designed for drip in every way than the Pharos. This is a no brainer decision.
LMWDP #353

wacomme (original poster)

#14: Post by wacomme (original poster) replying to bostonbuzz »

Interesting. I have a lot of coffee cling with the Lido 2. I'll try to get a photo of what I mean tomorrow.

Anyway, any idea when the plastic jar will become available?
Michael

OldNuc

#15: Post by OldNuc »

Plastic jar when it is ready, soon is my guess.

If you grind the coffee and then set the grinder down and leave it alone for 1 or 2 minutes the static will have decayed off and then the grounds will settle nicely to the bottom. The finer the grind and lighter the roast the longer this takes.

Nate42

#16: Post by Nate42 »

I've used the pharos for every brewing method under the sun, and while its capable of anything, espresso is the place where it truly shines. I prefer my preciso for anything else. Don't have personal experience with Lido 2 yet but board consensus is that its at least as good as(I'm sure most would say better than) the preciso. If you're not doing espresso Lido 2 seems the obvious one to keep to me.

I'll second the recommendation of a little mist on the beans, it cuts static cling down big time. There's really no reason for Lido to have more retention than pharos, I suspect the funnel is just hiding it from view better. It doesn't take much weight of coffee to LOOK like a lot, but if you weigh it you'll find its negligible.

beer&mathematics

#17: Post by beer&mathematics »

I'm a bit contrarian with my opinion here but I loved the Pharos for drip. It is so smooth and easy and fast. A delight. If you don't taste the difference in clarity between the two then I'd keep the Pharos. It was designed as a do-it-all grinder but people over time noticed it shines for espresso (top class grinds) and only good for others.

A drop of water mixed into your beans before grinding will eliminate most of the static (look up RDT as others have mentioned). Also, if you don't like to whack it with your hand, you can buy a rubber mallet (like this) and it is lots of fun to hit the Pharos on the head with it :twisted:

Of course, I can taste the slight difference so I use my Pharos only for espresso. Also, I hate changing settings so I like leaving it in espresso range and the Lido2 stays in pourover range.
LMWDP #431

taildraggin

#18: Post by taildraggin »

I have a pharos and press in the morning and cafe normale in afternoon. My buddy has the Lido2 that I've tried.

Given your observations, the only con for the Pharos I have is that it takes 2 loads to make a large french press in the morning.