Five years with the La Nuova Era Cuadra

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
C8H10N4O2

#1: Post by C8H10N4O2 »

My machine has created fantastic espresso since I purchased it, but I have had my share of difficulties with the machine also. I got the machine fairly early before it was more widely available in the US. I don't know if it has more problems than other machines, but from what I've read around the forums, it seems there are very common problems for this particular machine. I want to summarize what has happened, and how I fixed the problems, so Cuadra owners who have yet to hit the 5 year mark will know what can happen, and how to fix the problem quickly. Many of the parts on this machine are not proprietary, which is good, because finding parts for the machine is not always easy. Also, I have tried to contact customer support for La Nuova Era by email, but never got a response. This machine is perfect for a DIYer since it is the only way to fix it.

1. Power relay - this part broke and I've read on other posts on the internet that this machine is designed in a way that is very hard on the power relay, and you can depend on it failing after a few years. The only sane solution is to take this opportunity to upgrade the machine to a solid state relay. These are very hardy and will last a very long time. Also your machine will now be quiet without the constant clicking of 15 amps sparking in your machine. I detailed my experience in another post: Mechanical power relay malfunction - espresso machine too cold - SOLVED
2. Lack of insulation - this machine really benefits from insulation, you will save on electricity big time, and who know, maybe stabilize the temperature, cheaper than a PID - super easy, just go to the fabric store and buy polyester batting (like for pillows) it has a very high melting point and works great.
3. Pressure-stat - this might be a quibble, but the pressure-stat is not very cheap or easy to find a replacement. At least now 1st line sells this part, but when I had issues with mine and needed to replace it the only place I could find it was in Australia for major $$$. I re-plumbed my machine to accept a normal vacuum breaker and pressure-stat. The original design integrates the pressure-stat and vacuum breaker in one device.
4. The Teflon tubing from the brass valve assembly to the heat exchange injector on the boiler (steel T) will crack eventually. You will know it has cracked when a puddle begins to colllect under your machine. Luckily it is just 6mm OD 4mm ID Teflon tubing which is readily available online $5/foot shipped. Only need 5 inches to replace, so I have enough to replace it again in 5 years. I bought my tubing from Amazon. I did check the espresso supply store online that sells La Nuova Era Cuadra parts, but it was out of stock. This is easy to replace because the connection to the valve assembly is an easy "push to connect" connection, and the upper connection basically pinches the tubing, so that it uses the tubing to form the seal. It is hard to describe, but makes sense when you take it apart.
5. The steam valve gaskets will need replacing of course. My valve started to leak. You might find official La Nuova Cuadra o-rings online, but I've found that Danco #6 o-rings from your local hardware store work perfectly and are indistinguishable from the original o-rings.
6. All the E61 gaskets - this is not at all different than any other E61 machine, but keep in mind you will need to replace all the valve gaskets or the brass/gasket valves around 4-6 years depending on use. I tried but could not find a suitable gasket at a local hardware store, but they are easy to find from espresso supply stores.

adi84g

#2: Post by adi84g »

I have a similar machine, it's a Sanremo Treviso LX.

Now I'm having trouble with the pressure switch, it's the same as on your machine, ma-ter xp700 with the nasty combo.

I would appreciate if you could provide info on your mod.My e-mail address is : gutiu.adrian@gmail.com.

Adi

Advertisement
pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by pizzaman383 »

I see that you've had to replace 6x4 teflon tubing with push-to-connect fittings due to heat damage. Those fittings will also accept copper tubing so you might want to try using 6mm OD by 4mm ID copper tubing in place of the teflon tube.

Sometimes, the less flexible copper can be a challenge to get slipped into both ends, especially for short pieces. If this is the case, you can use a longer piece of copper tubing bent in a loop, in a spiral, or in an inch-worm shape that allows the flexibility needed.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

C8H10N4O2 (original poster)

#4: Post by C8H10N4O2 (original poster) »

I see that you've had to replace 6x4 teflon tubing with push-to-connect fittings due to heat damage. Those fittings will also accept copper tubing so you might want to try using 6mm OD by 4mm ID copper tubing in place of the teflon tube.

Sometimes, the less flexible copper can be a challenge to get slipped into both ends, especially for short pieces. If this is the case, you can use a longer piece of copper tubing bent in a loop, in a spiral, or in an inch-worm shape that allows the flexibility needed.
I was thinking the same way you are, but the upper connearction is not push to connect. The upper fitting is new to me. It basically has a nipple that inserts inside the tubing, so when you screw the fitting tight, the tubing gets pinched which functions as a gasket that provides a water tight seal. There is no way copper would work in this type of fitting. I thought about getting a different fitting, but it is so cheap and easy to just replace the teflon tubing every 5 years, I just did it that way.

C8H10N4O2 (original poster)

#5: Post by C8H10N4O2 (original poster) »

Photo of the plumbing was taken from behind the machine. As you can see, there is a pressurestat, vacuum breaker and the pressure gauge all going into a 4-way manifold. This is the manifold link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00880 ... UTF8&psc=1
I remember the threads were slightly off and I basically used lots of teflon tape and a strong arm, but zero leaks for over 2 years. Sorry I don't remember any more details about how I made this work.

This is photo of the Teflon tubing fitting I was describing. This is on the right side of the machine, opposite the power switch. There is a second very short piece of Teflon tubing down there also that is still intact, but if my machine springs a leak again, I will know to replace it, and I have the tubing so I won't go into espresso withdrawal.

Wiring for the solid state relay (SSR). I went to an auto parts store and purchased the auto wire that is supposed to be good in an engine compartment, resists heat and water, appropriate for cars and espresso machines. The connection is near the power switch, and that area is way too tight to accept the SSR, so I used long wires to extend above the boiler.

homeburrero
Team HB

#6: Post by homeburrero »

The replacement pstat assembly for the Cuadra has 5 connections - 1) pipe to boiler, 2) pStat, 3) Gauge capillary tube, 4) A-V valve, and 5) Safety valve. (1.8 bar safety valve and a-v valve are part of the brass base unit.) Brian's solution is missing the safety valve, which hopefully is covered somewhere.

Ideally you would find a manifold with BSP rather than NPT fittings, but as Brian has shown, with enough teflon tape you can sometimes get away with putting 1/4" male BSP in 1/4" female NPT. (BSP is slightly smaller, has a different thread profile and has 19 threads per inch rather than 18.)

Here's an Amazon listing of a six hole manifold with 1/4" BSP holes, but unfortunately at about 5x the price of the NPT 4 hole that Brian linked.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h