Brewhead Temperature versus PID Display - Quickmill Alexia

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
James Mulryan

#1: Post by James Mulryan »

Newbie Question:
So I have an Aubin PID on an Alexia. I am trying to figure out how to find out my proper set point to get 200F at the brew head. I used a laser beam thermometer pointed directly at the drops of water coming off the shower screen and got a reading of approx. 190 F with the PID set at 212.

Then I tried the following suggested by a fellow HBer( I think it came from HB maybe CG):

Example:
1.) Clear out space under the grouphead. This means removing the portafilter and setting a small container out to catch the splashing water. Don't get your face too close :)
2.) Set PID to 230.
3.) Wait for temp to stabilize (when I did this, it took about 5 minutes each time I changed the temp. Then again, I have mine set to 0.1°F accuracy. Suyi's instructions explain how to do this, too.)
4.) Hit the brew switch. Observe water immediately flashing to steam as it exits the grouphead.
5.) Drop the setting by X degrees. (I used 1F changes - in retrospect, it took a loooong time)
6.) Repeat steps 3-5 until you observe water coming out of the grouphead, but NO STEAM.
7.) Write this number down. If it says "218", you now know the delta (6°F), as the grouphead temp will be 212. How do we know it's 212? see step 6 (NO STEAM).
8.) Now that you know the delta, you can adjust as you see fit. IIRC, the boiler/grouphead temperature relationship for this particular PID is linear, so you can just start dropping temps.
One of the important steps is 3) STABILIZATION. If you don't do this, the temperature measurements won't be accurate, and you shall continue to wander the espresso wastelands.

From what I gather, 212 degrees is the flash point for steam coming off the group head, correct?
I started at 230, no steam, 235 no steam, was worried about overdriving the boiler and stopped at this point, --Probably a wrong assumption, when I do steam boiler goes up to 257 all the time.
So I should have gone up to 240 and beyond? Kind of seems odd that the PID would have that big of a offset. What Am I doing wrong here.
PS maybe cup taste should be the deciding factor, but to follow roaster suggestions, and from a scientific perspective, I want to find the offset and plan to start further tests from a 200F brew head baseline temp .
Thanks

Advertisement
brianl

#2: Post by brianl »

Make sure to factor in your altitude and ambient temperature as well

erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

And you have studied this ?

/quickmill- ... ature.html
Skål,

Eric S.