Slayer single group review - Page 10

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
indend007

#91: Post by indend007 »

Slayer has a new external pump opt.
IMHO, it's more attractive to me put a pump in a body like GS/3. Why they added external pump?

cdneddy

#92: Post by cdneddy »

indend007 wrote:Slayer has a new external pump opt.
IMHO, it's more attractive to me put a pump in a body like GS/3. Why they added external pump?

<image>

I believe the external pump option will provide a more quite operation. Such as putting the pump in a lower cabinet. I guess it will be of benefit for those who are catering and need something that won't be too loud when operating.

Advertisement
shadowfax

#93: Post by shadowfax »

indend007 wrote:Why they added external pump?
As Eddy said, it will provide a somewhat quieter operation, particularly if the external pump is well-enclosed. It's kind of a nice option to have, I suppose, but I think it's a little unfortunate that they switched to the rotary pump on the outboard version. Even though the rotary pump is quieter, the gear pump has 2 advantages (the way Slayer uses it):
  • brew pressure can be adjusted through the programming interface on the machine without fiddling with a bypass valve on the pump under the cabinet.
  • Its flow rate is lower, meaning that the pressure it delivers at the group will vary more with the coffee resistance (the pressure will be lower as the puck's resistance drops)-which I think is a good thing, generally speaking.
Nicholas Lundgaard

Mrboots2u (original poster)

#94: Post by Mrboots2u (original poster) »

Are there likely to be any more additions/posts to the slayer review?

shadowfax

#95: Post by shadowfax »

I think you might be happiest if you assume "no;" that way, when it happens, you can be pleasantly surprised.

I need to publish a section on the programming interface, although there aren't too many surprises in that content if you've already looked at my YouTube channel, specifically the programming playlist.

I spent a lot of time over the holidays conducting blind tests intended to analyze the effects of "pre-brew." The results on that were relatively inconclusive, but interesting. However, I suspect that the noise that I see in the data may have revealed that the temperature stability problem with my machine (and others with my firmware version) is more significant than I had thought based on making coffee day-to-day without such side by side comparisons. I don't know, and I am waiting till I receive new firmware to redo some of the testing and see if it eliminates or reduces what I saw.

So, I plan to do more installments, including a write up of blind testing I have conducted, as well as a data-driven discussion of the machine's temperature stability, but I don't have any interest in publishing data that is almost certainly filled with asterisks due to outdated data generated on now-outdated firmware; that serves no one, except the few early adopters that will learn that they probably should update their firmware-and hopefully that is already clear. So I am waiting on the latest firmware. I hope to receive that sometime this month or early in February, but I don't know. Believe me, I am more anxious than you.
Nicholas Lundgaard

waroros

#96: Post by waroros »

Thank Nicholas for so much effort you input in the review. I do keep refreshing your Review every week, but as you said, there are so many complications.

Single Slayer is a superb machine, with a lot of variables to play with. However, it would be easier to learn, when it really deliver its promises.
Let's get it slayed