Good roasters in phoenix AZ - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
mauijer

#21: Post by mauijer »

gophish wrote:IMO, Lux, Lola, and Royal have some barista inconsistencies and shot quality can vary a great deal, which is unfortunate.

Although I do not regularly buy coffee from Cartel or Press (I typically mail order), I feel they give me the most confidence I am going to receive a well pulled shot, and I've had my best local espressi from these two. I haven't been to crepe bar in Tempe yet, but it sounds like they take their coffee pretty seriously as well.

I also just got wind that the Tammie Coe Cakes location downtown is now serving Intelligentsia, though I haven't been there yet and do not know exactly what they're offering.
While I don't want to detract from the purpose of this post but where have you been ordering from? I moved from east coast and was mail ordering from them but took a week to ship here and espresso sitting in 100+ degree weather for a week is a no go... I was considering klatch, verve, Vivace and redbird if the local pursuit doesn't work out. Btw (not to detract again) anyone home roasting out here?

gophish

#22: Post by gophish »

you might want to check the roasting forum for home roasting info, I usually don't venture into that territory...

If you look through the rest of this subforum, there are numerous mail order roasters listed, it all kind of depends on what you're looking for and the prices you are okay with paying - check the what is wow'ing you thread too.

Without shedding too much bias, my personal favorite mail order roaster is Mountain Air. Their coffee is very reasonably priced, shipping is quick and free, their selections are all high quality and rotate regularly, and Marshall is a member on here and is very responsive to questions. I've tried most of the usual mail order suspects and recommendations, so feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.
Versalab

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by dumpshot »

+1 for Mtn Air. It always comes three days post roast, too!

As a local guy, I buy locally from Cartel, Press, and now Nom de Plume (which is fantastic). I mail order from Mtn Air, Bodka, Verve, and have tried lots of others. Counter Culture is also based in NC and their beans always arrive three days post roast.

I also buy Heart beans from Crepe Bar in Tempe.

For the last couple of months, I have been exclusively getting beans from Mtn Air and Nom de Plume. I am hooked on both.

Pete
LMWDP #484

mauijer

#24: Post by mauijer »

Ok awesome. I've used mountain air before and was very impressed with quality and shipping times. However I lived in ohio at that time so I assumed it would take a week to get to Arizona like Chris coffee just did but of that is not the case I'll definitely continuing w him. And agree w above, owner is very receptive and quick on replying