Grinder Grounds Retention: How Big a Deal? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
takeshi

#11: Post by takeshi »

Martin wrote:However, when I've opened up and brushed out my Vario, I didn't find much and can't imagine detectable taste effects. My Mazzer Mini requires a brush out after each shot; but even with the Mini, I've never noticed a positive change after cleaning out the packed-in grounds around the burrs.
There's your answer. It's not a matter of the result of polling others (or reading HG One threads, etc) but what you can taste.

Martin (original poster)

#12: Post by Martin (original poster) replying to takeshi »

Au contraire. "Rely on 'what you can taste' is typically (for me, no offense meant, YMMV, :D :D :D ) pretty useless feedback, and I wish that folks would quit offering it. Sure, we need to pay attention to what we like, but I'm at a point where I'm enjoying some shots that I would have found unpalatable 15, 10, or even 5 years ago. In short, I've learned about taste.

My advice is that if you do or don't like a shot--can or can't tell a difference--check what others think, and only then make a decision to follow your taste or pay closer attention to what you might be missing. If I followed my taste, I'd still be posting requests for "chocolaty" blends to roast.

I follow some discussions on micro-subtleties of espresso (ex., tamping, retention, freezing, etc.) where the settled opinion and my own experience are roughly aligned. But sometimes when topics reemerge, I want to know if I'm in sync with the broader HB community or if I've missed something important. YMMV.
Heat + Beans = Roast. All the rest is commentary.