Geometry of conical burr - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by FotonDrv »

Frank, where does the Turkish Burred EK43 fit into this topic? They are designed to produce a finer grind if I understand their marketing correctly.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

peacecup

#12: Post by peacecup »

Nobody seems to be publishing scientific tests of conical burr geometry versus particle size distribution (or any other factors that might be important for taste, e.g shape of grounds, etc). On HB the discussion has focused mainly on burr size and conical versus flat, and most people here seem to prefer large conical burrs. But I never saw a comparision of two different-shaped 68 mm conical burr sets for example.

Perhaps burr manufacturers are in fact doing these kinds of analyses, but we've never seen results here on HB. The SEM project, in fact, found it was difficult to measure surface area of the grounds because of their complex shape.

So how do burr manufacturers decide upon burr design? Do they do lots of taste tests, or grounds measurements, or what?
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

Beenbag

#13: Post by Beenbag »

I sometimes wonder if folk read thread titles before typing a reply !
It seems some just want any thread to discuss their pet interest... So just how did an EK43 get into a thread specifically asking about CONICAL BURR geometry ??
I too am surprised that with all the experience and know how on this forum, there is hardly a reference to the critical mechanical design variables on burrs ( conical and flat) and how a specific feature such as the number or angle, or depth of a burr edge, can change the performance characteristics of the burr set.
Certainly there have been many posts and articles showing the physical "differences" between burrs, but few , if any, that have discussed the reasoning behind the differences, or quantified/ measured in detail the mechanical features. Most comparisons seem to be based only on " end result" in the cup , and not what specifically was the reason for the change.
There seems to be a large "hole" in our knowledge base and understanding of one of the most important parts of the coffee making process.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by FotonDrv »

My mistake for responding to anything in the Thread that was not germane to the Posted topic.

Here is something that is conical to add to the fuel for discussion.

Burrs from 3 different grinders, all the same size burrs, all the same cuts/angles of attack and the only difference that I can tell is the bore diameter for the shaft. The burr that is uncoated is a Mazzer 71mm burr from an HG-One.

I suspect that there are very few makers of burrs.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train