Ponte vecchio lusso unused for long periods

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
kallan

#1: Post by kallan »

Hi this is a follow on from a previous topic
I recently used my lusso for the first time in 4 months and after topping up with clean water found dark orange water coming through the grouphead, this staining seemed to be coming from inside the boiler and after several rinses with clean water the matter appears to be resolved,
The machine is in a holiday home, when it was left it was only 2 weeks old from new
As long periods of inactivity will be a normal occurrence for this machine i would appreciate any advice on preparation for storage (on this occasion the boiler had been syphoned dry)
Many thanks
Keith

peacecup

#2: Post by peacecup »

Perhaps you could flush the group and boiler well after the last brew session, then refill it with clean water and store it full? (unless there is a chance of a hard freeze inside the cabin).

It would nice to figure out where the color was originating. I've never had such an experience, but I usually store them full of clean water during periods of disuse. I've never stored one for more than a month or two I guess.

After one longish dry storage the seals were damaged upon beginning reuse, I guess due to drying out.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

Advertisement
peacecup

#3: Post by peacecup »

I hate to say it, but if you plan to store it repeatedly for longer periods you may want to carry a set of piston and grouphead seals, and have the proper tools on hand in case you need to change seals at the holiday house.

Changing seals is not an easy job, but can be managed with a little practice and the correct tools. You'll find info on this if you search HB. The best tool is the one used at the factory, made from a portafilter. You can find that thread by searching something like "changing seals the Ponte Vecchio way".

BTW, I'm still loving my Ponte Vecchio Export and Sama Lusso more than 10 years into the journey, so I hope yours treats you as well.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."