Bodka Coffee Company Giveaway-Espresso Bunna

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Bodka Coffee

#1: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Bodka Coffee wrote:Time for a giveaway! We will be giving 3- 10 oz bags of our newest espresso- Espresso Bunna. Just post in the thread below to sign up. Signups close Thursday, September 25 at 6 pm CST. Thanks!

http://www.bodkacoffee.com/store/p42/Es ... Bunna.html
Ok this contest is over. I went to Random.org and a strange thing happened. It picked the first 3 people that signed up! So the winners are-
obo78
Philg
creative nickname

Please send me your address' and your thoughts and comments on this espresso!
Thanks for signing up everyone and be looking for another giveaway.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Congratulations! I've cleared the giveaway posts in case the winners wish to share their opinions without readers having to skip past 5 pages of "I'm in" replies. :)
Dan Kehn

[creative nickname]

#3: Post by [creative nickname] »

My bag arrived last night, and I pulled my first shot this morning (it was roasted on 9/25, so it had 6 days of rest). Either the sweet spot is very wide, or I got quite lucky on my first try, because this was a really delicious shot. The ground coffee smelled wonderfully rich, with lots of interesting wood and floral notes, as well as red berries. I pulled a ristretto on the Caravel, using 12g, 14g out, with a brew temp of about 200F, with a grind fine enough to reduce the flow to slow drips with a firm pull. The shot was delicious, with a nice balance of spices, fruit, chocolatey body, and interesting florals in the finish. If subsequent shots hold up to that initially high standard, it will be my favorite of the espresso offerings I've tried from Bodka.
LMWDP #435

Philg
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Philg »

Delicious! My best shot so far was 16g in an 18g VST basket around 201 degrees, about an ounce of beverage. Very sweet, nice acidity (I couldn't identify a fruit - maybe red grapes?) with creamy, thick (like some Italian blends I've tried) body.

The cup smelled of cinnamon, pastry and lemon grass - I don't remember the last time I had / smelled lemon grass, but that's what came to mind. An earlier cup smelled like cherry cough drops.

Thanks again to David for this coffee.

obo78

#5: Post by obo78 »

A family situation has kept me away from home for a few days but I hope to get to my Bunna starting tomorrow. From the other reactions I can hardly wait.

obo78

#6: Post by obo78 »

Finally home for more than one day at a time and I was able to dial in the Bunna this morning when I got up. I took philg's post as my initial guide and pulled a 16gm in a VST 18gm at 201. That yielded about 1 1/4 oz. Excellent cup - smooth with nice chocolate overtones at the end. Fruit was balanced, a bit of cherry with a tang. A really nice morning espresso.

My wife usually takes her cappuccino pretty much for granted but this morning I gave her the Bunna without saying anything. She immediately asked what coffee I had used and asked that I sue it for her second cup.

A winner.

[creative nickname]

#7: Post by [creative nickname] »

I'm somewhat embarassed to have won a second time, but my second batch of free Bunna came today, and I just wanted to bump this thread (since I couldn't find the new giveaway thread anymore) with some praise for this blend. Maybe it is the different machine (my Caferina rather than the Caravel), or maybe the blend has changed over time, but this latest batch of Bunna was more citric than I remembered. My first shot today (pulled as a nice ristretto, at moderate temperatures) featured sweet clementine, cloves, and cinnamon. On a day full of exam grading, it made for a welcome break!

Thanks again to David for organizing these giveaways!
LMWDP #435

Bodka Coffee (original poster)

#8: Post by Bodka Coffee (original poster) »

How did you do that? You been bribing Mr Random???