Ponte Vecchio Lusso with orange/brown water from grouphead

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
kallan

#1: Post by kallan »

Hi everyone, my lusso has been unused for four months, I have just started it up and the water drawn through the grouphead is an orangey brown colour, anyone experienced a similar problem
Many thanks
Keith

JustinBrown1

#2: Post by JustinBrown1 »

Hi Keith,

How did you clean your machine before you stopped using it?
I would think it is most likely to be coffee grinds which have been trapped in the shower screen. Try Rinsing/flushing the group head several times to see if the colour of the water changes.
LMWDP 419

kallan (original poster)

#3: Post by kallan (original poster) »

Hi thanks for getting back to me, the staining to the water appeared to be coming from the boiler i filled it up with clean water, emptied it over the sink and the orange coloured water came out, after several rinses it turned clear and is fine now. If it wasnt a copper boiler i would have said it was due to rust, the boiler was left empty while it was not in use?

sorrentinacoffee

#4: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

if the seals dried out - or were worn out when the machine was last used (especially the middle seal)- then there is a chance that for a time water infused with coffee can be drawn back into the boiler. You (may) hear a gurgling sound when this happens whilst the lever is operated. Best bet is to run a mild citric descale/wash through the machine- empty and fill the boiler several times (use a syphon from the fill hole), then check/replace/lubricate the seals. Hopefully the water will start coming through clear again. :wink:

kallan (original poster)

#5: Post by kallan (original poster) »

Many thanks for that, i will give it a go
Keith

JustinBrown1

#6: Post by JustinBrown1 »

Hi Keith,

Just as a cautionary note, it is worth bearing in mind that good seals will cease being so after a flush with citric acid. If you are going down that route, make sure you fit new seals AFTER the flushing procedure. I once ruined a perfectly good set of seals on my Elektra Mcal by descaling/flushing with citric acid.
LMWDP 419