Bezzera Unica problem - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
hutorihunzu (original poster)

#11: Post by hutorihunzu (original poster) »

thanks a lot!!!
i did it today and it worked!!!
first i unplugged the Y and saw that the priming valve is doing great (some water until brewing pressure and then now water at all) but the OPV had very weak flow.
then i adjust the OPV and it worked immediately!

my last question is why 9 bar and not 11? i mean i remember that i saw once a video by bezzera telling that you shouldn't adjust it to 9 bar because the pump has low flow or something like this...

again, thanks a lot!!! you saved me from spending a lot of money and helped me understand how to deal with the machine!!!!

another_jim
Team HB

#12: Post by another_jim »

hutorihunzu wrote:my last question is why 9 bar and not 11?
Difference in opinion.

The Italian manufacturers say pumps should be set to the pressure for which they designed the machine. They specify adjusting the blind pressure of vibe pumps at 11 bar for two reasons. 1) the pressure on vibes drops with flow much faster than on rotary pumps. so a higher blind pressure is required to keep the pressure equal at normal flow rates. 2) The initial ramp up to full pressure on a rotary pump takes about 2 to 6 seconds, and 4 to 10 on a vibe, depending on the spaces the need to be filled in the group. Therefore, the 11 bar design pressure for vibes is the rough equivalent to the 9 bar design pressure for rotaries.

Third wave cafes and espresso hobbyists say pumps should be set by taste. Based on this, many cafes tend to set their rotaries down to around 8 bar to get a less bitter taste. Hobbyists going by taste usually set vibes to around 9 to 10 bar. If you want to go this route, start at 12 bar, and spend a few weeks trying that setting; drop to 8 bar and spend a few weeks again; then zero in until you find what you like. By starting at the extremes, you'll have a much better idea of what the actual difference is.

Generally speaking, changes of less than 1 bar are very hard to taste. You will also find the best pressure will depend very much on how you like to dose, what roast level you enjoy, etc etc -- so if your practice in these changes, the pump pressure settings should be revisited
Jim Schulman