Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Janbar from Coffee Shrub - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Bodka Coffee

#11: Post by Bodka Coffee »

I had a po last night of Monday's roast. Good stuff. And the bean I ate during the roast was so good. Fruity but not really blueberry. Leaning more toward pineapple juice with that bean.

[creative nickname]

#12: Post by [creative nickname] »

It's funny that you should mention pineapple. Here are my cupping notes from this morning's pourover (a middle-of-the-road city roast, with 4 days of rest):

Dry Fragrance: Sweet sherry, cinnamon, hibiscus.

Wet Aroma: Brandy, cherries, toasted almonds, cinnamon, cream.

Warm taste: Beautifully balanced, sweet cherry acidity, black tea with cream, turning to milk chocolate in the finish, perfumey and slightly astringent in the aftertaste.

Cool taste: Sweeter and fruitier, with emerging pineapple notes. Persistent rich black tea flavors, bergamot, smoother finish.
LMWDP #435

[creative nickname]

#13: Post by [creative nickname] »

This just keeps getting better as it rests. Now I'm at a week post-roast, and the fruits and florals are more dominant, while the black-tea-like astringency has mellowed. Today's cup tasted and smelled like a bowl of tropical fruits and flowers, supported by a sweet, caramelly body. I'm so glad I grabbed a bunch of it while I could!
LMWDP #435

drgary
Team HB

#14: Post by drgary »

Thanks for that. Just tried David's (Bodka) roast of this. Delicious! Glad to know it may keep developing. Last I heard he still has some left if anyone reading this thread wants to try it, a very fine and unique Yirg.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

drgary
Team HB

#15: Post by drgary »

[creative nickname] wrote:This just keeps getting better as it rests. Now I'm at a week post-roast, and the fruits and florals are more dominant, while the black-tea-like astringency has mellowed. Today's cup tasted and smelled like a bowl of tropical fruits and flowers, supported by a sweet, caramelly body. I'm so glad I grabbed a bunch of it while I could!
On David's roast, five days post roast had very distinctive flavor layering, although my Clever Dripper brew was silky and rounded with more emphasis on its tea qualities. I should have frozen some yesterday for pourover/immersion. At day six it's started to fade in a way that is optimal for espresso.

Yesterday I pulled a normale shot and it was about right for this coffee with its sharp-edged flavors. I just pulled a ristretto, and it was sweet, rounded, and the pineapple appeared for a moment. Florals and pineapple are emerging in the aftertaste. I'm going to freeze it at this point.
Gary
LMWDP#308

drgary
Team HB

#16: Post by drgary »

I pulled this out of the freezer today, ground finer and pulled a normale. That got more flavor layering and is the way I'll use this for espresso.
Gary
LMWDP#308

IMAWriter

#17: Post by IMAWriter replying to drgary »

Drg, interestingly for ME, for MOST Yergs I just prefer a normale, as I get more caramel-ish sweetness than with a slow drippy ristretto. Not so with the Panama dp Elida.

I was going to order from Bodka, and got busy. I'll have to check and see if there's any left. The early bird..... :cry:

drgary
Team HB

#18: Post by drgary »

I pulled this for someone else who preferred it as a ristretto and didn't care that that eliminated the florals. Different strokes ...
Gary
LMWDP#308

IMAWriter

#19: Post by IMAWriter replying to drgary »

"Different strokes"...Ain't it the truth!