Mahlkonig Pro M Dialogue

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
contraflow88
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by contraflow88 »

I'm sure many are thinking why is there another post on the old dead beat Mahlkonig pro M? Well I have had the pleasure of working with a Mahlkonig Pro M (Grind-On-Demand) and I have been able to get some very interesting shots. I have read through the many posts on HB on this grinder. One thread seemed to go off on a tangent about how good it dosed and not so much on what it could do in the cup. So this is a call for all Mahlkonig Pro-M owners of both species Pro-M (Grind-On-Demand) and Pro M (Espresso) to please step forward and share what are your thoughts and what comparisons in the cup. Its interesting to note that the burrs on this grinder are very different from other models in the Mahlkonig arsenal. With that said, yes one model is for everything from drip to espresso but the other is Espresso only model and shares the same burrs. Thus please share what are your findings with this grinder. Cheers!

Marshall

#2: Post by Marshall »

I go to a local roaster-retailer. They make me a shot. I take a bag or two home. I consistently produce shots comparable to the shots in their shop. The grinder is also a reliable workhorse. This is all I ask. I am happy, and all is good with the world.
Marshall
Los Angeles

contraflow88 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by contraflow88 (original poster) »

I was a bit puzzled myself at what I observed too. The shots were very close in comparison to the Roburs at the shop that I go to. Now this maybe due to the burr geometry. I have heard reports that some experience a lot fines and inconsistency.

Marshall

#4: Post by Marshall replying to contraflow88 »

Reading HB too much has its risks.
Marshall
Los Angeles

dpiette
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by dpiette »

I think we Pro-M owners are a small and quiet minority.

I purchased my Pro-M when the SCAA was in Houston a couple of years ago. After modifying the dial so you can grind fine enough for espresso, I have been very happy.

I was using a MACAP stepless M4 (what is with all the "M" designations, by the way?) prior.

The Pro-M does a very good job with my Quickmill Achille. It is hard to say without a head to head comparison, of course, but my shots are sweet and full - "round" I believe is how most people describe it. Most of my coffee comes from Sweet Maria's, and I roast just one (or maybe two, if I am not fast enough) pops into the second crack on my Hottop.

It is very easy to clean, with the ability to remove the top burr without changing the grind settings at all. (That was a great revelation when I realized that). There is some retention, but I use a lens blower to clear the throat.

I talked to a Mahlkoning rep when he was here for a Sprudge event, and they were disappointed in that machine. (I think they stopped making it) but he said if you got a good one, it was a good one.
you can't win,
you can't break even,
you have to play.
-the three laws of thermodynamics

Marshall

#6: Post by Marshall »

dpiette wrote:I talked to a Mahlkoning rep when he was here for a Sprudge event, and they were disappointed in that machine. (I think they stopped making it) but he said if you got a good one, it was a good one.
That was probably Gary Horne. I am told the problems are with the espresso-only model electronics and that the machines will be back in production when they are resolved. Whether that will actually happen, I have no idea.
Marshall
Los Angeles