Retrofit gaggia classic or upgrade to better espresso machine

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
scottfa

#1: Post by scottfa »

Hi there:
I currently own a gaggia coffee that I modded with a PID, Silvia steam wand and a bottomless portafilter. I thought I would adjust the opv but it doesn't have one. So I thought I would install one, but all threads on this installation seem to be dead. So I thought I could "upgrade" to the classic and be able to reuse the PID etc. It has the opv and 3 way solenoid I think.
Should I do this or just get a better machine?
BTW, I am hoping to get a constant temp during the brew phase. I have a lelit pl53 grinder which seems fine.
Thanks for any help.

maccompatible

#2: Post by maccompatible »

If it were me, I'd go for something better. If you already had a classic you could learn to enjoy it, but otherwise I'd step up to something more capable.
"Wait. People drink coffee just for the caffeine??"
LMWDP #628

SJM

#3: Post by SJM »

Adding a Classic OPV to the Coffee isn't very difficult. The parts will cost you around $50. What you will have then will be a machine which is equivalent to a Classic with the exception of the 3-way solenoid, which is a luxury but adds nothing to the quality in the cup.

So...for $50 or so you can have a Classic without buying a Classic.

I don't think you would necessarily appreciate the expenditure for a whole new Classic as opposed to just making that investment in the Coffee you already have. IF after that you decide to upgrade, you would probably want to move out of Gaggias altogether. And your Coffee would be just that much more saleable since you would probably be including all of those upgrades which wouldn't easily move to a non-Gaggia machine.

Intrepid510

#4: Post by Intrepid510 »

Its up to you and how you use it. The OPV will allow your shots to be a little more forgiving. What are you wanting from your machine? There are lots of options.

I wouldnt go the Classic route though just because its what you already have essentially.

scottfa (original poster)

#5: Post by scottfa (original poster) »

Thanks all, if I could figure out the hose in/out I would just put in the opv and save up for a better machine. Any clue on where I get the info on installing the opv?

SJM

#6: Post by SJM »

#7: Post by scottfa (original poster) »

Thanks for the link. I have to register to see some instructions. One of the selections does show a diagram but it is pretty useless. Anyway I am waiting to be approved. Still deciding on just upgrading. I have had this unit for +5 years and don't really want to start sinking a lot if time and money into it.

#8: Post by scottfa (original poster) »

Intrepid510 wrote:Its up to you and how you use it. The OPV will allow your shots to be a little more forgiving. What are you wanting from your machine? There are lots of options.

I wouldnt go the Classic route though just because its what you already have essentially.
I am looking for a constant temperature while pulling a shot. I have a hard time not getting channeling with this machine. Could be pilot error, but I have tried to fix it many times. Also, I would like to try different temps, which is why I installed a PID. Unfortunately, this does not measure at the group head and it is hard to tell what temp is at the group head. Again, I have an opportunity to upgrade that will he gone in a year.........

Intrepid510

#9: Post by Intrepid510 »

THe OPV would help the channeling, however really for what you want then a Breville Dual Boiler would be the cheapest option to get it.