Mazzer Super Jolly - what a bad bearing sounds like - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
trumz (original poster)

#11: Post by trumz (original poster) »

I removed everything from the top of the grinder and the all of the electrical components from the bottom. Then after removing the four screws holding the condenser in place, it can be knocked out from the top. I used a piece of wood and a hammer and started gently making sure that all impacts are straight down.
You can see from the above picture showing straight through the bottom of the motor to the top bearing. From there all you have to do is knock it out with a pipe of suitible size. Press the new bearing in with the old one seated on top using the same pipe or a piece of wood. Reasemble.

I had one slight problem though. When I srewed the condenser back in it had pushed the top bearing out ever so slightly and when I had replaced the thin metal disc/washer that sits over the bearing, it would rub. I simply had to press the bearing back down again half a mm.

I hope this helps. Use the pictures above to try and get an idea of what I'm talking about if it's not clear.

Now the lower bearing is a different story. You might need a puller to get that off. Mine was still good so I didn't bother.

LaDan

#12: Post by LaDan »

Ah, I see. I was curious if you used one of those 3 arms pullers, and you talked about looking for a place with a press. Nicely done!

trumz (original poster)

#13: Post by trumz (original poster) »

Well, I'd imagine you'd need a puller to get the lower bearing off but not the top.

Randy G.

#14: Post by Randy G. »

A short section of pipe or the proper sized socket and threaded rod stock to make a puller for that bearing removal would be the preferred method. You do not want to deform or distort that hole for the bearing. A grinder is a precision instrument.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done