E61 group leaks from the lever?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
soundklinik

#1: Post by soundklinik »

I tried to back-flush when my machine was cold and there was a trickle of water from around the lever stem that comes out of the group...

Is that normal to happen on a cold machine? (I think not)... When machine's hot there is no leak.

Is it time to get a rebuild kit and grease?

The machine is a second hand Isomac TEA II I got a few weeks ago...
I guess it is similar to any SB HX E61 machines.

TIA

DaveC

#2: Post by DaveC »

soundklinik wrote:I tried to back-flush when my machine was cold and there was a trickle of water from around the lever stem that comes out of the group..
There are 2 small rubber ring washers that seal the stem attached to the lever, they simply need replacing, a very cheap part, should only cost a few bucks including postage. Don't forget to lube em with something like Molycote after fitting, so the stem slides in easy and stays sealed.

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

Dave's right. See Internals of an E61 Brew Head for more details, excerpted below for easy reference:
HB wrote:Randy's article Simple Lubrication of the E-61 Group provides instructions and accompanying video for fixing squeaky E61 lever arms:
If your E61 goes drip drip drip, Randy's follow-up article Overhauling and Lubricating the E-61 Group and EspressoCare's Rebuild Kit are all you need. See Constant dripping from E61 grouphead for discussion and more photos.
Dan Kehn

soundklinik (original poster)

#4: Post by soundklinik (original poster) »

Thanks a lot for your help.

Ordered grease already, now I have to find a kit (or gaskets) locally in Europe.

Have a great weekend :)

soundklinik (original poster)

#5: Post by soundklinik (original poster) »

Hi, after some search, I got this kit:

http://www.bellabarista.co.uk/espresso- ... e-kit.html

Question is: should I repair only the leaky handle (two gaskets + lubrication) or replace other gaskets and parts?
(upper and lower group)

...or does the saying "if it ain't broken don't fix it" hold true?

Thanks