'81 Pasquini Livietta Restoration (aka Maximatic, Coffex) - Page 4

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
ruralbarista

#31: Post by ruralbarista »

I had a similar problem with my 1985 Coffex project. I flipped the teflon plug but it was badly worn and I suspected some steam leakage even after tightening it. I have the complete rebuild kit from OE and on a second pass through the bag decided to try the same-size black one with a center hole and it fit perfectly. It is a hair thicker, and the old one was wanting me to screw down to the end of the thread range. The hole does not matter.
The picture shows my two measurement gadgets. They both work very well. On the left is a piece of 3/8" brake line with a hose clamp holding a red wire nut to seal the end; another hose clamp seals on the tip of the steam wand. I drilled a tiny hole in the side and insert the filling needle that came with my stand-up bicycle pump. I was able to raise the pressure in the system slowly to about 2 Bar before the safety valve tripped; I then set it down to about 1.5 as my PSat is now cycling from 0.7 to 0.9. How did I measure the pressure? One the right is a longer piece of brake line with a pressure gauge fitted to the end; it slips over the wand. for this one, at lower pressure, I don't need a hose clamp.
Source: my friendly locally-owned auto parts store. The clerk disappeared into the back recesses and came out later with the whole thing assembled for $35. The pleasures of small town life. I should hold court with my espresso machine and treat the Saturday morning crowd to my best!

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#32: Post by drgary »

Great post, Michael! I really like the idea of using a bicycle pump to ramp up pressure and set the OPV. One can never underestimate the ingenuity of people on this site.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

dumpshot (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#33: Post by dumpshot (original poster) »

Michael, that is a huge help! That is exactly what I am looking for. I will tell you that I will be at the local auto parts store tomorrow morning, thanks to your post.

Cheers,
Pete
LMWDP #484

cuppajoe

#34: Post by cuppajoe »

Hi Pete -

There's an alternative to using the steam wand to attach a manometer. On machines with a boiler cap like the Livietta, you can kludge a setup such as this -

Found it much easier to work with than the steam wand method. And must say your color scheme is growing on me.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

dumpshot (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#35: Post by dumpshot (original poster) »

Thanks, David. I would like to make a boiler cap gauge. I just haven't figured out the size of the boiler cap and where to get all the fittings. If anyone wants to help a lazy fella out...

I made a steam wand gauge with 3/8" brake line as suggested by Michael above. It works great, but I worry about torquing on the steam wand when I slip it on and off.

In other news, I got some thread sealant (loctite 567) and fixed the small leak from the fitting coming out of the HX that goes to the group. Now the machine is 100% operational and I can finally focus on making delicious drinks. Exciting times here at the house. My wife is digging the almond milk capps as well.

Cheers,
Pete
LMWDP #484

cuppajoe

#36: Post by cuppajoe »

I dragged the cap and gauge to the local hardware store and just put it together with what they had and gas spec teflon tape worked well at sealing it. Good thing, as any mention of British or metric sizes seems to irritate them.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits