Different grounds 'density' from different roasters

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
radudanutco

#1: Post by radudanutco »

I have a roasting problem with ground weight in basket after distribution, when leveled to the rim:

while using modified poppers as roasters, for a couple of years, I was happy using with my Bezzera Magica (HX E61) the most convenient - for me - method of distribution:
leaving the grounds as fluffy as possible, NSEW leveling to the rim (with kind of a silicone straight knife), and with my usual beans I had quite consistently, around 16.2g, maybe 16.5g; for a double basket of a nominal 14g...

since end July, I am using a DIY roaster, based on a heat gun with 'continuous' temp control, and an external air pump, also voltage controlled, all monitored in Artisan;
well, the grounded beans roasted with the new heat gun/air pump roaster, weights - in apparent similar conditions and in the same basket - much more: over 17.5g, to 18g!
and this, with the same green beans (Yirga, Malawi, Salvador etc.), as the ones roasted on the poppers,
roasted in about the same time, 9 min, to City plus, with the same visual characteristics,
with the same grinder, at about the same setting, fluffy as possible into the basket leveled to the rim;

I was tempted to consider the grinder, a rather modest one, Bezzera BB005 (48mm conical), but recently I tested it by grinding (not brewing:) with ancient roasted coffee bought from supermarket (some Costa RIca Tarrazu, or the remains of...);
but, the levelled to the rim basket, hold 15.5 - 16 g! like those with the old popper!

I am not considering the final result in cup (good or excellent in both cases), nor the difficulties of distributing a "downdosed" grind (as 16-16.2 g of grind are now below the rim);
my concern is about the possible errors in the way I'm manipulating the roasting process now;
what would be some possible causes for getting such a different roast bean (more dense?) on different roasters, otherwise in rather similar roasts?
where should I look for them in the rosting process?

it's hard for me to believe that working with a larger batch (250-300g vs. 65-75g) only, would get such a result;

well, there is one thing I've noticed as a difference: first crack starts at a moment when the beans seems to be too roasted and clean (not that 'shedding' look) for the phase - they've reached almost the final color of City - City+

with the popper, I used to 'charge' at about 80C (175F) and soon after, at 149-150C (300F) I dried for 2:30-3 min; then ramp and in 3-4 min at 200-203C (394F) entering first crack;
now I charge at 150C (~300F), the recovery from TP to 150C (~300F) again (end drying) is rather slow;
is this drum roaster' profile appropiate for fluid bed method?

thank you for any hint!

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

Have you changed grind settings, shot timing, etc?

Typically drum roasts produce more fines at a given grind setting than air roasts. But this would require a coarser grind, whihc tends to fill the basket at lower weights, not higher ones. But if on yor set up, you needed to grind finer, the mystery would be explained.
Jim Schulman

endlesscycles

#3: Post by endlesscycles »

another_jim wrote:Have you changed grind settings, shot timing, etc?

Typically drum roasts produce more fines at a given grind setting than air roasts....
How come this is the first time I've ever heard this?
I wonder where in the typical roast curves this phenomenon occurs.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

radudanutco (original poster)

#4: Post by radudanutco (original poster) »

another_jim wrote:Have you changed grind settings, shot timing, etc?.
yes, in order to get the same flow; but of a very few significance I would say, as the main difference and my qustion is about the grind resulted from the old popper roaster, and the one from the new heat gun / air pump one;
another_jim wrote:Typically drum roasts produce more fines at a given grind setting than air roasts. ...
But if on yor set up, you needed to grind finer, the mystery would be explained.
thank you, Jim;
so these would hold to be true:
when using the same grinder at the same setting, the new heat-gun/air-pump roaster (with its larger batches and different temp distributions) produce more fines than the old tiny mod popper; the roasts being dropped at approximately the same stage;
endlesscycles wrote:...I wonder where in the typical roast curves this phenomenon occurs.
better put, that would be also my question :)

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim »

I'm talking about "typical" roasts:

Typical airroasts shorter, roughly 8 minutes and fast start/slow finish; typical drum roasts are longer, 12 to 15 minutes, and slow start/fast finish. ou will notice more fines on typical drum roasts.
Jim Schulman