Ideas and evolution of a Pharos grinding stand - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Chert (original poster)

#21: Post by Chert (original poster) »

And the final video, featuring the grinder stand not shown in the one above...

Credits to Steve Jobs et al for Apple Mac G5, iSight technology & iMovie.
LMWDP #198

day

#22: Post by day »

One day it will be I making videos and attempting to fashion a stand for a Pharos... though I suspect that day will be some time off based on my lack of success on oehandgrinders.com :( Mostly just wanted to say valiant efforts thus far. Also to ask, can you imagine anyway to extend the base to make the system more stable? Maybe some way of closing the main mount unit, and having it latch onto a larger box that allows for increased stability?

I also have to tell you, that the first table bolted version of the video has your shadow so large and dominate, hair spiked out everywhere in shadow, and the music so dramatic relative to your shadows motions, that it was almost like watching some type of horror film :) Excellent. Very enjoyable. way more fun that my terrible MDF Grinder mod video I made but no one has ever seen (best to keep it that way ;) )
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Chert (original poster)

#23: Post by Chert (original poster) »

day wrote:
I also have to tell you, that the first table bolted version of the video has your shadow so large and dominate, hair spiked out everywhere in shadow, and the music so dramatic relative to your shadows motions, that it was almost like watching some type of horror film :) Excellent. Very enjoyable. way more fun that my terrible MDF Grinder mod video I made but no one has ever seen (best to keep it that way ;) )

I agree with both aspects of this remark. And I was wondering if anyone would comment on the odd shadow dance. I choose not to keep my imperfect work under cover, but maybe I should. Too bad I don't have a super 8 camera.
Also to ask, can you imagine anyway to extend the base to make the system more stable? Maybe some way of closing the main mount unit, and having it latch onto a larger box that allows for increased stability?
I gradually shortened the stands in an effort to give a smaller foot print. The problem with shorter unit is that swing of the hinge causes the grounds to rest against a more horizontal back of the funnel. Retention becomes a bit worse. The video shows that a sturdy counter surface would serve better than a table that can shimmy like mine does. Instead of rounding the front perhaps a base with a notch for the top section to fit in would increase stability while grinding. The dowel pegs perform well enough for my daily grind: currently 4 shots in the morning and 3-4 at noon. (3 are for me, the rest are shared.)
LMWDP #198