Switching to espresso - Can I use my Baratza Vario-W with metal burrs?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
aveekda

#1: Post by aveekda »

I purchased a Vario-W recently (pre-installed with metal burrs). I was focused 100% on drip and had incredible results across the board, but now find myself focusing on building up a solid espresso setup instead.

Everything I've read from Baratza says that the metal burrs are NOT appropriate for espresso... so I'm basically looking at selling the entire grinder, or perhaps buying the original ceramic burrs (which I never had before) to completely re-purpose the Vario-W for espresso duty.

Not being able to grind directly into the porta-filter might be a deal breaker for me (I see most people are using regular Varios for espresso... ).

Any suggestions?

XCman

#2: Post by XCman »

What are you thinking about getting for an espresso grinder if you sell the Vario???

Are you going to quit making drip/pour over coffee??

Just some grind for thought.

aveekda (original poster)

#3: Post by aveekda (original poster) »

Good question! I probably will pause on drip/pour over for the foreseeable future; I have coffee twice a day and it's always espresso. (I might break out the old aeropress every now and then, but I have a hario hand grinder for that).

As for which grinder I would switch to, no clue yet!

Eastsideloco

#4: Post by Eastsideloco »

Order the ceramic burrs and swap them in. It will take 10 minutes. And you'll be good to go for espresso.

If you want a better espresso grinder than the Vario w/ ceramic burrs, you're probably looking at commercial titan class grinders, like a Mazzer Super Jolly or a Compak K10. The Vario will definitely hold you over until you decide that you are ready to upgrade.

RE: dosing w/ a Vario W. If you get a dosing funnel from Orphan Espresso, the process is pretty smooth:

http://www.oehandgrinders.com/OE-Dosing ... _c_25.html

XCman

#5: Post by XCman »

I agree with Eastsideloco. The Vario with ceramic burrs is a very versatile grinder.
Most of the really good coffee shops I've been to that use the Vario for their pour overs use the ceramic burrs.
The espresso grinder selection after the Vario all have their issues,price,counter top space,grind retention and ergonomics.

#6: Post by aveekda (original poster) »

great stuff guys, thank you! i was actually looking at the K10 grinder for the longest time to pair with an NS Oscar... at this point i feel like i should set my sights lower & that a CC1 + Vario w/ ceramic would be good enough for now.

those funnels look like a great idea, but dumb question: how does it work? do i simply grind into the basket and then pour the basket into the funnel+portafilter?

sweaner

#7: Post by sweaner »

1. Switch to the ceramic burrs for espresso.

2. Get an OE Lido 2 for your Trifecta...that is what I use for mine.
Scott
LMWDP #248

jackson6

#8: Post by jackson6 »

Peter,

If you wanted to try the ceramic burrs, I have a brand new set that I would trade you for your metal ones if you were interested. I have been meaning to try out the metal burrs for drip.

#9: Post by aveekda (original poster) »

Hey thanks Jackson -- sent you a PM, thanks!