Which to buy? LIDO 2, Zassenhaus Quito / Lima / Panama... - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
flamenkito (original poster)

#11: Post by flamenkito (original poster) »

I don't pre-order anything where its timely fulfillment is predicated upon unknown or volatile circumstances.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#12: Post by jbviau »

flamenkito wrote:The Lido 2 seems to suffer from the same problem plaguing the Pharos: it's too hard to turn the handle...
I'm the one whose torso appears in the video you embedded. That was filmed only ~2 weeks after I received the LIDO 2, so it wasn't fully broken in, and I was also grinding a bit awkwardly/self-consciously since I was being filmed (as discussed here). In other words, the difference in effort required between the LIDO 2 and the hausgrind isn't *that* extreme, though I agree it's noticeable due to the LIDO 2 grinding more quickly and aggressively.

As noted, other posters have done a good job of summarizing pros and cons. Good luck deciding! I look forward to the day when both the LIDO 2 and hausgrind are back in stock and even available from retailers.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Advertisement
[creative nickname]

#13: Post by [creative nickname] »

flamenkito wrote:I don't pre-order anything where its timely fulfillment is predicated upon unknown or volatile circumstances.
I would say this kind of concern cuts in favor of the Lido 2 at the moment. Doug and Barb have a factory tooled up to produce lots of units; I don't see any signs suggesting that future orders would go unfulfilled. I'm a big fan of what Peter is doing with the hausgrind, but communication with customers does not seem to be his strong suit at the moment, despite his best intentions.

If you need to get a product right away, with the best possible customer support, I would recommend a baratza virtuoso or Preciso, rather than one of the Zassenhaus models.
LMWDP #435

yakster
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by yakster »

My Lido 2 travels with me for work every day in my coffee kit which contains the grinder, jeweler's scale, the catch cup separately packaged to cut down on the length so it fits in my case, and up to two 8 oz canning jars with coffee in it and the brush and tools. I normally keep the grinder in it's neoprene bag (inside the padded case) but took it out for the photo op. I use an Impress brew mug to brew coffee in, that travels separately, but one of the gaskets and the metal filter for this brewer nest inside the Lido 2 base in the travel kit.

The little plastic container in the lower right is a salad dressing cup, it just holds 18 grams of coffee and I bought these to play with bringing pre-ground coffee to work, which worked out pretty well before I got the Lido. I'd grind 18 grams into it and put the lid on with no headspace for air. It's hanging around as a backup to the scale since it works very well to measure out approximately 18 grams of whole bean coffee which is the amount I use for brewing with the Impress.

The case with everything but the two bottles of coffee weighs just under 6.4 pounds.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

flamenkito (original poster)

#15: Post by flamenkito (original poster) »

Wow, that is some serious kit! This will be my office/travel grinder, so no briefcases for me.

I've suffered from RSI in my knuckles. The Lido's handle is not ergonomic. I'm certain I won't be to use it without aggravating my hands.

So, I'll wait for Knock's hausgrind after all.

Thanks to all for the assistance and advice.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by yakster »

That is my office/travel kit. It'll fit in a carry-on suitcase with less room more clothes.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

treyrox

#17: Post by treyrox »

as nobody has mentioned it in this thread, when comparing Lido 2 to Hausgrind, the Hausgrind is also the clear winner in the retention department. I use the Lido cleaning brush and it takes all of about 3 seconds to sweep the bottom of the grinder clean. With the Lido 2 it takes quite a bit longer/more sweeping and I get a lot of static on either the plastic or glass catch cups.
Ordering from/communicating with Peter on the other hand...

Advertisement
[creative nickname]

#18: Post by [creative nickname] »

FWIW, the gasket mod greatly reduces retention in the Lido 2. It is quick, inexpensive and worth doing.
LMWDP #435