Baratza Forté Calibration Question

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
JR_Germantown

#1: Post by JR_Germantown »

I recently bought the Forté AP, along with a Quickmill Vetrano 2B. I quickly found that I could not get the grind fine enough to make a decent shot, so I followed the instructions to recalibrate the burrs to allow a finer grind. I noticed during calibration that the adjustment was causing the motor to slow down noticeably. Is that normal? Vario owners feel free to weigh in, as this part is pretty much the same for both machines.

I have not had the opportunity to pull any shots since the adjustment, to test the effect of the calibration. Until I get the machine plumbed in, it's strictly a weekend-use machine.

Thanks.
Jack

gophish

#2: Post by gophish »

by slowing down, do you mean the more labored sound that occurs when calibrating finer? I have my Vario calibrated much finer than the reference video (by sound anyways), and haven't had any problems. I spoke with Colin at Baratza before going this fine with concerns of the burrs touching and/or causing any issues or premature wear, and he said I have nothing to worry about. I imagine it is possible to go too far, but he seemed pretty confident and encouraging to go finer as needed.
Versalab

weebit_nutty

#3: Post by weebit_nutty »

yup, it's normal.
Watch this video, and fast forward to 8:30 min.
The only thing I would do slightly different is set my zero point at 1A, instead of the suggested 2Q. Having it at 2Q could make it possible for someone to set it at a much finer setting and potentially damage the burrs, and worse, burn the motor when they start it up. I think it's a bad suggestion..
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?