Cleaning and Maintenance of your Huky 500

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Jasonmck

#1: Post by Jasonmck »

Just wondering about everyone's cleaning and maintenance of your home roaster?

Kfir

#2: Post by Kfir »

Actually, almost none...

I empty the chaff tray beneath the gas stove every 7-8 roasts and just wipe the roaster from dust with a wet soft cloth, that's it.

There is nothing to clean inside or any special maintenance to perform.

Kfir.

Advertisement
Jasonmck (original poster)

#3: Post by Jasonmck (original poster) »

Thank Kfir,
I've noticed a residue build up in the chaff collector tube and have cleaned it with soap and water. But was unsure if this same residue was building up in the Drum

Thanks

J

Contrabass_Bry

#4: Post by Contrabass_Bry »

Jason,

I have that particulate crud build up mostly on my exhaust fan guard and blades, some remains in the vent tube. If it's left to build up for a while, it can be a bit of a bear to remove.

Alcohol cuts it nicely. Everclear (if available in your area) is an extremely cheap, strong (and more importantly) potable solvent!

Jasonmck (original poster)

#5: Post by Jasonmck (original poster) »

thanks?

I was able to clean the exhaust with soap and water but it was a long process.

keno

#6: Post by keno »

Have not had my Huky very long. But so far here's what I do.
  • Clean out chaff collector after each roasting session.
  • Remove the roaster from the stove and vacuum out the stove area to remove chaff as needed
  • Tip the roaster back to empty any stray beans from the charge tube after each roast (just use the trier to tip it slightly)
  • Clean the chaff collector fan exhaust area (and any other areas where coffee oils build up) with a rag and Simple Green about every half dozen sessions
The only other maintenance that should be needed is to occasionally lubricate the ceramic bearings and shaft with the supplied lubricant or a suitable food safe high tempearture lubricant.

bean2friends

#7: Post by bean2friends replying to keno »

Yesterday I noticed some some coffee oils had dripped down on to the side of the roaster and left a trail about 6" long that had baked on. I used alcohol, soap, some kind of orange cleaner for "all stain removal". I got most of it off but left that area abraded and still with a bit of that trail of coffee oils. Alas! My failure to understand that the stuff wouldn't come off and my insistence that it should caused me to damage the finish a bit. I should have been paying closer attention. I've put my Huky through the paces and have done about 50 roasts so far. I also noticed that the chaff fan was plenty dirty. I had to take it apart and spend about an hour with that orange stuff (Goo Gone) to get the fan clean. I'll have to pay closer attention to that as well. Hmm - I wonder if the soap I use for backflushing my espresso machine would work?

Oh, and while I'm at it - how exactly does one lubricate the bearing. I got a one time only hypodermic with lubricant from Mr. Li. Do I just try to squirt that in around the little white balls in the bearing from the front? And what do I do after I've used it for next time? Is such a hypodermic generally available? Right now that bearing looks to be oozing oil - I'm guessing it's from the coffee?

Thanks for any advice.

DickC