Quickmill Alexia heater nut size?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
D'Laine

#1: Post by D'Laine »

The Alexia is a great machine that just works well and doesn't complain.

I'd like to keep it that way and want to pull the heater element out to check for scale, the water here runs about 120 ppm hardness, so it's not great.

Looks like I can put a socket over the unwired element and screw it out for examination. Skill level 2/10.

Any one know the hex size?
Looks like about 30 mm. I don't have those big sockets so I don't want to buy a set for just one big nut. A caliper won't fit, it's too deep.

Thanks folks,

D.

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

Looks like I can put a socket over the unwired element and screw it out for examination.
Maybe yes and maybe no . . . depends on the orientation of the male spades on the terminals. Yes, 30 mm is the proper size but I also suspect that the nearest US equivalent will also work, especially if it is a 6 point socket.

If you must do this, take the boiler out and visit your local auto mechanic so they can use an ADJUSTABLE impact wrench on the element. It will be out in a "heartbeat".

An alternative is this: Checking an E61 Espresso Machine for Scale . Fix your water by simply adding some distilled water to the mix.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com