Source for Ethyl Acetate processed decaf green beans? - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
dogjamboree (original poster)

#11: Post by dogjamboree (original poster) »

keno wrote:Have you inquired with Heart about whether they'd sell you some green decaf beans? Some roasters are happy to do this. And since you like their decaf you'll probably like it when you roast it. Plus you would have the benefit of comparing their roast to yours as a learning experience.

I drink quite a bit of decaf as I blend it (post-roast) with caffeinated for my regular use. I'd like to try some ethyl acetate decaf, so please keep us posted on what you find.

Cheers,
Ken
Yeah, I guess I should ask. Sometimes I get anxious about asking asking these types of questions for some reason, but everyone there is really nice so I doubt they'd be too bothered.

I'll let you know what I end up with. If I end up splitting a bag with David then I'll likely have more than I need and would be glad to share.

Frank

jamoke

#12: Post by jamoke »

Burman Coffee Traders is currently offering methylene chloride processed Ethiopian Sidamo decaf, which they refer to as KVW processing. They sell in home roaster friendly quantities.
Ed Bugel
LMWDP 122
Huky #297

#13: Post by dogjamboree (original poster) replying to jamoke »

Thanks for the tip on Burman Coffee Traders, Ed. I wonder if 5 months is a long time for that coffee to have been sitting around before selling it, based on what people say about decaf greens? I've experienced some noticeable aging with certain beans around 6 months, so I can only imagine with decaf it could be worse. I've always roasted my decaf beans within a month so I've never had a chance to observe how they might age.

Frank

#14: Post by dogjamboree (original poster) »

Wanted to provide an update on this thread.

I ended up splitting a bag of Ethyl Acetate Colombia decaf (see link below) with Dave from Bodka Coffee and sold some of that to HB user keno (Ken).

Both Ken and I have been experimenting with it and Ken's results have been amazing (my first try was underdeveloped but my second batch is much better). There's no way I would guess this was decaf if I'd tasted it blind. It's not extremely complex or anything, but a great comfort coffee, and much better than I was expecting to be honest.

I still want to compare with a dichloromethane processed coffee, but this blows away any Swiss Water Process coffee I've tried (but I've only sampled half a dozen or so).

http://www.cafeimports.com/beanology/vi ... ne-ea-2272

keno

#15: Post by keno »

I go through a fair amount of decaf as I mostly drink half-caf and I have to say that this is a really nice decaf. Frank is right that it's hard to distinguish from regular coffee as it tastes just like a nice Colombian should.

Anyhow, it makes me wonder whether he's on to something about the ethyl acetate method being preferable to water process decafs. A few other pertinent differences: the green beans look a lot closer to regular green coffee beans than water processed beans and I also notice when roasting these beans that first crack is quite vigorous unlike many decafs.

Looking forward to roasting and drinking more of this.

Thanks Frank!! :D

yakster
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by yakster »

The latest CoffeeGeek Podcast (episode 72) features an interview with Trevor Corlett of Madcap Coffee who took 3rd in the USBC in 2014 with a EA decaf cappuccino. The interview touches on the decaf process and speculates why the resulting coffees are so sweet, so it's probably worth a listen if you're already interested in this topic. Trevor mentions other roasters, Verve and Klatch, that have purchased EA processed coffees in the past. They didn't appear to have any current green or roasted offerings that specify EA processing, but Madcap Coffee currently has the Colombia EA processed decaf Las Serranias available for sale as rosted coffee. (Klatch's Decaf Colombia La Pradera Estate doesn't specify a decaffeination process)

Ah, but Has Bean coffee, the other roaster mentioned in the interview, has a COLOMBIA SAN SEBASTIAN COLOMBIAN SC DECAFFEINATED CATURRA WASHED currently available roasted and green that their blog post explains is decaffeinated using the EA process.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272