Canadian Roasters: Canucks...What are you drinking? - Page 10

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
canuckcoffeeguy (original poster)

#91: Post by canuckcoffeeguy (original poster) »

brooksie967 wrote:Definitely looking forward to seeing what everyone is drinking! I'm an Ontario Expat (Born in Mississauga but grew up in Milton) and I'm now located in Greenwood, Nova Scotia as I work with the RCAF. I don't have my grinder yet (Fiorenzato F4 arrives tomorrow) to go along with my newly acquired Quick Mill Andreja Premium redesign, so I'm stuck drinking some bolivian coffee roasted and ground by TAN. Unfortunately their "espresso" grind, doesn't seem to be fine enough for the coffee or my machine to give a brew pressure of 9 bar unless I really hammer down on the tamp (this doesn't make sense as i'm definitely applying way more than 30lbs to get the puck compacted enough to extract at this pressure). Lots to learn!!!
Welcome! I haven't personally tried Anchored Coffee Roasters, but they've been recommended by others. They're in your province in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.
Http://anchoredcoffee.com

brooksie967

#92: Post by brooksie967 »

Much thanks! Bookmarked!
Dartmouth is about 2 hrs away but if they offer affordable shipping it'll be worth it!

brooksie967

#93: Post by brooksie967 »

Hey everyone,

Found "north mountain coffee" http://www.northmountaincoffee.com/

Their shop is located in Berwick on the main drag. The guy who started the place apparently used to work for "Just Us".

Anyhow, their "high test" espresso is WONDERFUL and on Fridays it's $10 a bag!! Can't beat that for coffee that was roasted 2 days ago! The coffee has subtle fruit flavors but what really comes through is the caramel, nutty and chocolate flavors. Apparently their "red velvet" is their fruitier of the two. I might have to blend them together at some point but right now just messing with a bag of the high test and have been pleasantly surprised!!

Their staff is amazing BTW and i'd highly recommend heading down there to see their hand built marzocco espresso machine and their mahlkonig k30 twin that busts out doubles in 3.3 seconds!

canuckcoffeeguy (original poster)

#94: Post by canuckcoffeeguy (original poster) »

Checking on the fellow Canucks here.

Has anyone tried this roaster in Alberta? Looks like they started in Canada and branched out to the UK. I'm always looking for new beans to try.
http://ravecoffee.ca

Bunkmil

#95: Post by Bunkmil replying to canuckcoffeeguy »

I never tried them but I plan to buy some of their green beans shortly. And I'll probably add a bag of roasted coffee to my order as well.

Let us know what you think if you give them a try.

richorr

#96: Post by richorr »

canuckcoffeeguy wrote:Checking on the fellow Canucks here.

Has anyone tried this roaster in Alberta? Looks like they started in Canada and branched out to the UK. I'm always looking for new beans to try.
http://ravecoffee.ca
I assume you've tried Fratello out of Calgary? The best cappuccino I have had all year was using their SO Yirgacheffe. It changed my mind about Africans prepared in milk. Full credit to their roasting.
http://www.fratellocoffee.com

turbo290

#97: Post by turbo290 »

I'd like to cast my vote for Social Coffee as well. Minimum order $25 which amounts to 2 bags and delivery is 4 days for me. It usually is 4 days off roast when it arrives. They've never let me down. Pleased with their selection and I've always got fresh coffee which is the most important thing for me.

dtyson

#98: Post by dtyson »

Yes, I'd give P&S, B&A, and Transcend top marks for western Canada when I'm feeling spendy. Can't say I like everything I order but I don't hold that expectation anymore as it's always an interesting experience regardless. P49 tags along in the distance, for me, but still very tasty.

For more everyday ordering, Social still impresses with excellent service and good value. It's so easy to order with them and they process and ship fast without error (love the free shipping >25$). For the $, I still feel that their SO's are hit and miss but i'm still happy with the blends, especially considering a regularly priced pound of over-roasted boring Kicking Horse is only a dollar or so cheaper.

As well, since I live not too far from the US border now, even with the gutted CAD, a 5lb bag of Redbird Sweet Blue is still very very good value for daily chocolatey yum (about 16.40 CAD/lb with a 72 cent dollar). If you can get to the border economically.

I have an order with Hale in limbo apparently. Pushing two weeks and I haven't any response to emails and phone call since the order confirmation. I hope the beans are much better than their service.

I'm sure I'll try Rave at some point but I'm more jazzed to give Anchored, Saint-Henri, Pilot, Pig Iron, etc. a go first.

Some nice choices out there!

thm655321

#99: Post by thm655321 »

I have met Rayy the owner of Hale a few times. In terms of service, he delivered to my door personally.

It's a small operation right now, give them the benefit for the moment I am sure Rayy will make good.

vangrrl

#100: Post by vangrrl »

Great thread!

Here is what I have been enjoying and getting locally, here in Vancouver:
Pallet Coffee - love their BENCHMARK espresso and decaf espresso
49th Parallel - Epic Espresso and Old School espresso
any and all offerings from the lovely Revolver cafe in Gastown (of note, Ritual Wolf Moon)
Basho Cafe's HandWorks coffee is also excellent